LegacyGT.com

Engine died. Help?

OEM alternator, got it installed at PIA. Kicker is I just moved to north carolina a few weeks ago. Battery's good, reading 12v even after not running for a couple weeks. I'll probably get around to checking the fuel pressure this week.

If the car hasn't been started in a while there may be no fuel pressure left in the lines.

If it sprays out as you try to remove the line from the shock tower you know the pump is fine. If it just drips out...you may have found the problem.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

In order for Max Capacity's method to work, you need to turn the car to the on position (gauge sweep) and allow the fuel pump to (try) to pressurize the system prior to pulling the supply line. Turn the key off before pulling that line.

FWIW $20 for a fuel pressure tester is money well spent.

Yes, the gauge is nice to show you the pressure while the engine is running.

If it's very very quiet you may here the fuel prime when the key is turned to On. The old Civic was loud enough. But I don't think I've ever heard the Legacy's.

I'm just tiring to come up with free options.

If you buy a gauge, do you know how to install it with teflon pipe tape ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had a problem very similar, it was the fuel pressure regulator. Get a pressure tester, tap into fuel feed line, test pressure according to vacation pixs. The fpr's on these cars have always been known to cause this problem!

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Short version, threw in the towel and had it towed to local napa shop. Fuel pump checked out, there was fuel on the injectors and they were sparking fine. Timing belt is still lined up properly, but when they ran a compression test they said it was only around 100psi. That's definitely low, but it's also a stone cold engine. Is that still low enough to cause total failure to run?

Apparently there's a shop around here that's good with subies, and getting taken there in the morning.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bad-fpri-137988.html

Post #5

"My FPR went. it takes about 20 mins to take it out and test it (not a super accurate test, but I could blow through mine, which is obviously not going to hold pressure for long).

I ordered a new one from Fredbeans, stuck it in, and all was 100% after that."

Thats what I did!

I like to buy a bunch of new parts until the problem goes away, I figure its cheaper than paying a mechanic to do the same!

Archived