LegacyGT.com

ENGINE SWAP, just need advice.

Soooo I have a 2009 legacy 2.5i automatic transmission.... Long story short I killed my engine cause I had dirty oil in it and now I want to put in a 2.0gt engine... my buddy that knows what he's doing is going to put it in for me if I buy the GT engine but I won't run into problems in the long run right if I put the GT engine on the regular 2.5i body.... I was thinking it's the same engine bay as the GT's(so I've heard) so I don't see why I would run into problems except for like the vented Hood I'd need to buy when the engine goes in. Can someone that has done this kind of swap help me out on what's best? Thanks guys!

Getting the 2.0GT (JDM?) engine to work with your 2.5i (USDM?) TCU Is something else all together. I just don't see that happening. Someone with more technical knowledge will hopefully chime in and clarify.

This buddy should be telling you to buy a replacement 253 not a 20X/Y. Also this buddy would know a GT engine wont fit in a 2.5i engine bay without notching out the engine cradle, your stock fueling system wont be sufficient enough to run the engine, your ECU cant run engine,......you can understand that this is a poor way to spend too much money:) However it is your money so things you should consider and/or buy

The matching jdm ECU and front harness from the donor

LGT fuel pump (stock)

LGT engine cradle or cut out the route for the up pipe (beware too much and the cradle will lose its structural integrity)

Plan for maintenance on the donor engine BEFORE it goes in no point in swapping in an unknown condition engine for it to fail and youll be screwed even more.

Your AT and that engine may have some issues youll need to swap out the fly wheel for your 253 FW and flex plate and Trq Converter. The TCU and the JDM ECU for that engine are going to butt heads IF it was mated to a MT. The TCU and your ECU tell each other things (simplified explanation) in order to operate optimally, say the JDM ECU you buy is MT it doenst know to talk to your TCU and things dont work correctly.

Even if the JDM ECU is AT if that AT is a 5EAT you have another problem as you have a 4 speed AT.

Youll need a custom tune to make all the parts work in unison

Engine, hardware, swap work, tune, things that go wrong, labor you're looking at $$$$ easily :redface:

Have you thought about rebuilding your 253? At all?

Sooo basically it ain't worth it unless i got the time and money which I kind of don't have at the moment lol and what if I were to put the v6 3.0 engine in it instead? Would that be easier or same amount of work? And I don't even know what a 253 is lol, I think I'll go google that. But thanks for the responses guys, it sounds like a nightmare to swap out an engine 😱

Then find another 2.5i engine to drop into it.

You may get some more power from it by the traditional NA tuning measures.

Or you can go the way that frank_ster did and drop in a completely different engine, but if you haven't done stuff like that before I would not advise to do it.

Another issue is that some parts are a bit different on the vehicles with more power (2.5GT, 3.0 H6 [6-cyl boxer, not a V6] )

453747.png

Sooo basically it ain't worth it unless i got the time and money which I kind of don't have at the moment lol and what if I were to put the v6 3.0 engine in it instead? Would that be easier or same amount of work? And I don't even know what a 253 is lol, I think I'll go google that. But thanks for the responses guys, it sounds like a nightmare to swap out an engine 😱

The H6 is equally as involved youll need a lot fo time and money to make it work properly.

253 as in in your blown stock 09 2.5i EJ253 engine is the the route you should take to remedy this problem. Its an 09 hopefully you dont owe more than it is worth prior to the engine blowing. What is the nature of the failure: spun bearings, rod knock, hole in the block :lol: ? If you have a spun bearing you can reuse nearly every part just have the crank machined and make sure to compensate when ordering the new bearings. Have everything checked for tolerance, replace gaskets and seals. Thrown on a new timing belt and call it a day.

Options (cost effective options):

1. Buy a rebuilt or new shortblock swap over heads and accessories

2. Rebuild your blown shortblock reusing most everything.

3. Find a running EJ253 from a wrecked 06-09 NON-TURBO 4cyl Subaru drop that in, but make sure to check it over thoroughly.

Then find another 2.5i engine to drop into it.

You may get some more power from it by the traditional NA tuning measures.

Or you can go the way that frank_ster did and drop in a completely different engine, but if you haven't done stuff like that before I would not advise to do it.

Another issue is that some parts are a bit different on the vehicles with more power (2.5GT, 3.0 H6 [6-cyl boxer, not a V6] )

A 6cyl is a v6... Lol I know that much

Archived