LegacyGT.com

Who has experience with plasti dip?

the durability reports make me feel a bit better about the auto wash

the thing is that if you have o peel and respray... its super difficult to get the same level across the new layers to match up with the old dip

Go to dipyourcar.com to get a the repair kit if the PD starts to peels or rips. I think it's about $7.00. I plan on getting this because I plan on doing my wheels soon. I dipped my grill about 5 months ago and have gone through the car wash over 10 times and still looks good.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

took my wagon through an auto wash saturday, the damn thing hit my bumper and scratched it. those things are supposed to sense where the car is and stay away from it. the high pressure spray didnt peel the rest off tho, but ill still need to respray it at some point.

If you use white your car will look dirty all the time. Especially if you use rattle canned stuff. I did my rims white and within like three days they were covered in brake dust. I'm not putting the effort into dish soaping my rims every day...

A buddy of mine did his entire MK4 Jetta white with a pearl and gloss overcoat and it looks pretty decent, but he's like $400 in and didn't get enough paint (that included the whole kit and an extra gallon or two from DYC, plus shipping). Also, he did that last month in the hot ass sun and let me tell you, hot sun is not something you want to let plastidip sit in. It gets pours in it and just looks weird. Also, his car has a gradient of dirt from bottom to top. Same as my rims, that white just soaks dirt up.

With other colors it would look cool, but they fade. I did my grille, fog light covers, hood scoop, and center bumper valence all red with a black under coat and they looked sick. Basically a bright cherry-ish red. After a month or two the color turned to more of a dark burgundy color. Still looks cool, but not if I wanted it to stay bright. I also did my center console, cluster trim, dash trim, door card trim, and a few other things with the same red and it faded. Also, if you spill gas on it, it turns to mud real quick. Needless to say my haas door got a vinyl wrap instead of a dipping. With the interior stuff it fades just as fast with UV exposure and heat.

One thing I'm excited about it the PlastiDip spray in gallons. Performix made a more pigmented version of there original "Rubber Dip Spray" that DipYourCar has been selling and using for a while. The new PlastiDip gallons are supposed to have more UV protection and a much better coverage than the rattle can stuff we've been used to. I think they have most colors in this now and stopped selling the Rubber Dip spray gallons, but I'm not sure. If you want it to look good, I'd grab a gallon of that and a spray gun and take a crack at it.

To combat the whole "dirty dip" look, a few people in my area have used a gloss clear paint over the top of plastidip. It looks great, like a chalky gloss paint, but that negates the entire purpose of plastidip because they have to sand it to remove it now. Might as well have bought some crappy Rustoleum Ceramic stuff and blasted it for half the price.

Anyway, that's all the info I have about it. If you're gonna pick up a rattle can I'd suggest an ACE Hardware. They have a great selection here in Colorado and they're like $6.99 a can as opposed to $8 or $9 at other hardware stores in the area. I personally got a $25 "wheel kit" (just 4 rattle cans) from DYC while they were having a 20% off sale, so I pretty much scored them for $5 each cuz I ordered with my buddy's car kit and he paid shipping.

took my wagon through an auto wash saturday, the damn thing hit my bumper and scratched it. those things are supposed to sense where the car is and stay away from it. the high pressure spray didnt peel the rest off tho, but ill still need to respray it at some point.

If it's not bad enough you could probably repair it with come paint thinner or gasoline. Dip Your Car has a video where he repairs a wheel's dip using gas. At least that would make it a spot fix and not a whole bumper respray. :)

Archived