LegacyGT.com

Piston Oil Rings Position

So I rebuilt my block with new pistons discovered I didn't have the Hayes manual for my 05LGT so I used an old Legacy book thinking well they can't be that different, got my new book and turns out that the non turbo 1st and 2nd rings are about 150 degrees apart and turbo applications are 180. So my short block is back together already with 150 and I'm wondering if I should split it again or is it not a HUGE issue? Thanks!

or m sprank, or GTTuner, Underdog, Nrw,

I didn't want to start throwing names around like I was important or something....:);)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wouldn't worry too much. The rings tend to move around anyways once the engine has some miles on it

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

I wouldn't worry too much. The rings tend to move around anyways once the engine has some miles on it

Thanks for posting that. I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. So I didn't want to post it without being sure.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1

I am also on Miata.net and there has been considerable discussion there about going to 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils. One of the things they have run into with 0W-XX oil is the "non-linear usage event" where the oil level stays the same for several thousand miles then drops a quart in about 500 miles then continues to stay the same for several thousand more miles. There are some excellent lubrication engineers there who have concluded that the rings are rotating and the oil loss events occur when the ring gaps line up.

There is nothing anywhere saying that ring gaps are going to remain where they were when they were assembled and it is common on two-stroke engines to pin the rings to the pistons to prevent movement into the ports (which would wreck things in a hurry).

Archived