LegacyGT.com

HELP! 3.0R Track Day Computer Flash

I have a 2007 Tribeca engine and 5seat transmission in a mid engine track day car. I want to Flash the factory computer to run this engine and transmission in this, stand alone, configuration.

Any advise on how to achieve this goal?

Thanks,

Jack

TH3Franz,

I have an OEM engine and transmission computers but I need a harness from it to the engine as the one I have is damaged. I am not a mechanic let alone an electrician so talking about wiring and computers is like Greek to me. I can't speak the language! I would like to reprogram the OEM computers to allow them to work without security and emissions or any other system I don't need.

Can wires be removed from the connectors and new wires installed? They were cut of too close to the connector for slicing.

I live in East Hartford, CT., if anybody wants to come see what I have and can offer some advise.

Thanks,

Jack

Sounds like you may actually need a tuner who knows what he's doing. User Max Capacity lives in Tolland, I believe and he recommends Tuning Alliance in CT. Shoot them an email and ask. I also use and recommend Bren of BrenTuning in Charlton, MA. Obviously, this is not a standard, common thing to do, but either one of them might be able to help you having significant experience with Subaru ECUs. Can't hurt to ask.

You will probably need to have an immobilizer paired with the ECU and just leave it installed near the computer. Disabling the emissions codes is easy. You can un-pin the connectors by flipping up the the locking clip and using a pick to slide the pin out. They make special tools for doing this.

Very cool build, but if I were a potential buyer using this for a track day I would have concerns about the driveline configuration. Since you are using a subaru transmission and it looks like you will have the rear wheels accepting axles from the transmissions front axle position. I'm almost positive that that is an open differential. Any hard cornering would lead to spinning the inside tire and would lead to reduced grip. I'm not sure if the transmission ecu could be tuned to have a simulated LSD in the front but something to look in to/think about.

I'm not positive with how the auto transmissions work but you might have some difficult with the VDC (traction control) as well... If there's no rear axle connect it might think that the "rear wheels" are loosing traction all the time. It might be a little late/not in the budget, but an STI 6 speed has a helical front diff that would give the rear wheels (front diff) some limited slip capabilities. But that's a manual transmission and pretty expensive too.

I was told that a fuse could be installed or removed to allow the transmission to run in a front drive configuration. Are there any other opinions on the 2007 5eat front transmission being used in a rear wheel drive position? I was planning on using the factory trans computer with only the inputs it needs to run the transmission at a basic level.

I can't upload photos for some reason. Something about a security code. :spin:

If you had the following items bolted into a tube chassis and wanted to get things working as cheap as possible, how would you make them run?

1. A 2007 Subaru 3.0R engine with an engine harness.

2. The engine has a mechanical throttle body but I do have the OEM one.

2. The ECU with connectors but no harness.

3. A 5eat transmission with the TCM and harness connecting them.

Jack

I'm looking for a harness now. I have custom made $$$ half shafts. I don't know if the CV joints or if the width of the diffs are the same.

In the beginning I felt mid-engine shifting, with the driver and the shifter on the right side and the shift linkage on the left side, would be too big a problem. Considering what I was doing, I wanted to eliminate as many problems as possible. I never imagined how big a problem the electronics would be.

Rally Machine,

Someone told me the horsepower might go to 400 but the torque might double. Who knows? This car won't be for full blown, 9/10s track day driving. More of a high speed exhibition car and hillclimbs. Maybe at vintage events also.

Yeah I would much rather deal with mechanical setup issues than electronic ones. It's hard to tell how much power it will make since it's an experimental engine but I just know that some of the legacy gt 5eat transmissions can have difficulties at increased power levels. Needless to say there will be a lot of wiring to be done.

The Factory Five shifter is in the center so the rods or cables run straight back. My shifter is on the right side of the tub so, the cables would have to go around the right side of the driver, who sits on the right, then get around the mid engine and then to the left rear of the transmission. On the 5eat, the shift control is in the right so I have a tube that runs down the right side and connects to the OEM cable.

This car was not designed for 9/10 driving. It's for an older guy like me to take to track days, Porsche club meets, vintage race car events, hillclimbs and just to be the coolest guy around with a Porsche 917/10 Can Am Car!!!!!!!!!! It can be driven fast on the straight and brake deep into the corners but then you'd have to ease it out of the corners or from a dead start.

• 4 weeks later...

I have acquired a dashboard wiring harness from a 2007 Tribeca and have identified the connectors necessary to plug into the ECU and TCU. I have the fuse boxes and the relays.

Does anybody know where I can send the computers to have them reprogrammed to run the engine and transmission OUTSIDE the vehicle? No security system, no resister key, no VVT, No emissions, etc. ?

Thanks, Jack

^what you are asking about has never been done as far as i know especially with the auto trans. 07+ ECU's are canbus IIRC. They need a full on reflash beyond opensource to do what you are asking about. You may be better off with a standalone aftermarket unit and having a qualified tuner build the tune from the ground up. AEM has some nice options. start there.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jack did you figure out your engine management? I was going to suggest HalTech, but you already tried that in one of your earlier videos. Ad=nd why are you asking about the SVX engine, are you tossing your 2 x EZ30Rs?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Archived