LegacyGT.com

Ughhh 05 lgt woes

After resetting the ECU its normal for the car not to start right away. Most of us have learned to leave the key in the On position for 10 seconds then start the engine.

It also normal for CC light to flash when you get a CEL.

Not sure why the p0340 came back...?

Does the service manual have anything about it ?

Ok that does make sense, I did leave the key turned forward before starting but obviously not long enough.

Yea I had figured out it was normal for CC to flash as well by now.

Yea it's strange it came back last night. I then cleared it. My wife drove it home. Threw the CEL again. I read and cleared this morning, and it had only thrown the p0021.

Now last night when it threw the p0340 again, I did get on it to see if it was running any different after the CEL came on. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on that one, and start chasing it down.

I have a set of OCVs with 90k on them that I just removed from my car that I can sell you cheap. They weren't throwing any codes at all, just replaced them as preventative maintenance.

I appreciate that man, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I may just pull the trigger and replace both of mine as well with a new set.

Have you done your timing belt?? You have 124k miles? If you have recently done it, I would have them check the timing belt, it could be off, and if you haven't done your belt, then now is a good time.

Also, I wouldn't recommend OCV's with 90k on them...

I was just offering them as a test/temporary solution... Since I wasn't throwing any codes like he is they are known good... Id much rather spend $20 to confirm the issue and fix it for a while than shell out $180 for new ones and realize that wasn't the problem.

I would very strongly suggest you pull open the timing belt covers and take a look at the belts and pulleys. I had this exact same problem last month on my 05LGT, same codes and behavior. Found by pure luck that the timing belt was starting to fray, and the pulleys had gotten coated in chunks of rubber. It was making the timing jump all over the place I'm guessing.

Good luck.

Could be like he said the timing belt needs to be changed, I would inspect/change asap before it snaps and it costs you a hell of a lot more when your valves smack the pistons. Have you changed the timing belt?

Have you done your timing belt?? You have 124k miles? If you have recently done it, I would have them check the timing belt, it could be off, and if you haven't done your belt, then now is a good time.

Timing belt was done by the previous owner at the dealer at 100k. I was planning on taking it to my buddy's shop wednesday to throw on a new A/C compressor, so maybe we'll pull the covers and check the timing belt too.

I would very strongly suggest you pull open the timing belt covers and take a look at the belts and pulleys. I had this exact same problem last month on my 05LGT, same codes and behavior. Found by pure luck that the timing belt was starting to fray, and the pulleys had gotten coated in chunks of rubber. It was making the timing jump all over the place I'm guessing.

Good luck.

Hmm noted. I appreciate the heads up! Sounds like this may be a good step before throwing $180 at it in the form of OCVs

Could be like he said the timing belt needs to be changed, I would inspect/change asap before it snaps and it costs you a hell of a lot more when your valves smack the pistons. Have you changed the timing belt?

Yup done at 100k

yea checking the timing marks on the cam gears is something that is cheap to do, don't worry about the marks on the belt, they mean nothing for the timing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think I'm just going to pull the timing belt covers and inspect everything. I completely forgot that when my a/c belt was thrown back onto the a/c compressor, that it wore a slit into the belt cover too. This happened about a year ago, and I had TurnIn Concepts put on a lightweight crank pulley.

I just can't figure out which belt cover to order from FredBeans as they list both covers as the same # in the diagram

Not a big fan of LWCP.

Do you still have the old one, if yes, put it back on.

I do not have the oem crank pulley anymore, but it was no good, it caused the a/c belt to be thrown. This one was installed about 7k-10k miles ago or more, without any issues.

Pulled the cam covers to check time today, and it was perfect. There was some plastic dust inside the covers so that was all blown out. I think that was probably from when the a/c belt wore a slit into the cover. Also pulled the banjo bolt in the turbo feed line just for peace of mind. Filter wasn't terrible, but also wasn't great.Also put on a newly rebuilt a/c compressor, and it's finally blowing cold again.

Time to PM one of the Mikes.

http://www.AZPinstalls.com or http://www.infamousperformance.net

Might also be nice to have a Tuner do a street tune. They can see what's really going on in a data log.

There is still the fuel pressure idea...but I'd think you'd have other CEL for that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Time to PM one of the Mikes.

www.AZPinstalls.com or www.infamousperformance.net

Might also be nice to have a Tuner do a street tune. They can see what's really going on in a data log.

There is still the fuel pressure idea...but I'd think you'd have other CEL for that.

The car does have a street tune from a local tuner. But I have thought about having it re-tuned by another local guy just to have a look at what's going on. It was tuned probably about 15k miles ago.

Did you swap the OCV's? See if the code moves.

I didn't swap the ocvs because the code hasn't come back yet. I only drove it the 23 miles to the shop after I checked them originally. I'll keep everyone updated. I won't make it back out to the shop until saturday to pick it up, so I'll check back if/what codes it throws on the drive back.

Archived