LegacyGT.com

Possible blown turbo?

So I bought my 05 legacy gt back in October, and it is not my first turbo car, nor my first turbo problems.

So symptoms, was driving with my girlfriend to

Get food and noticed that I had no boost. Other than the no boost the car was running flawless, no strange idle, no rough start, just gutless and could not hear the turbo spoiling

My mods are a boost gauge

A blow off valve (atmospheric)

And I got rid of the DRL (run my fogs instead)

First thing I did was take off top mount and look for vacuum lines that may have popped off but found none.

So I took off the downpipe over the weekend to see if it was seized but it's not, spins just fine, no shaft play side to side, but maybe 1/16 of an inch. Back and fourth. Blades seem fine, although it was chipped a little on the back of the ceramic wheel from what I could see. I also took off the intake to make sure it wasn't just the back spinning, and the compressor wheel as a whole seems fine enough to not be blown.

In the process of putting everything back together I noticed a vacuum line on the front of the top mount below the intake mani tha was off, got very excited, popped off the map sensor plug to get to it and re attached it and put everything back together and started it.

Started it and did a 30 second test drive and still exactly the same, a bit heart breaking. And now my CEL was on and the cruise control was flashing.

So I took it to autozone and checked the code, and it was po108 which is map sensor off I guess, so i unplugged it and blew in it and plugged it back in thoroughly, CEL and cruise off and back to normal, still no boost.

So last ditch effort to see if I could mechanically do anything to get the turbo to build boost, I unhooked the vacuum line to the wastegate actuator and was ready to let off boost (because it would spike till turbo blew) but still nothing.

So no boost is pretty much all I've got, with a turbo that appears to have a compressor wheel that spins freely. So any ideas or input would be great. I'll post some pics of what I could get pics of

So you can obviously see some damage on the ceramic exhaust side, but in my past experience I don't think that would be enough to make it stop building boost completely, or maybe I just don't wanna believe it would lol

I hope I don't have to buy a new turbo, but if I do I guess it's upgrade time

Thank you for your quick reply, this is a very possible route I may have to take, I have a baby girl due on Friday so money is tight. I'll let you know later this week what route I'll have to take after further investigation

I'm no turbo expert but if the thing spins freely and it doesn't spin up when engine is running, the most likely culprit is the wastegate being stuck open causing the exhaust to bypass the turbo.

What else would cause it not to spool up?

You need to check and see if the compressor wheel is stationary on the shaft or if each wheel turns independently of each other. I received a core a while back that had the shaft broken in the middle. Everything looked fine, everything spun when you spun either end, UNTIL you held one and tried to spin the other and then it showed that it had a broken shaft.

I also received a core once that the nut had come loose but not off and the compressor wheel was spinning freely on the end of the turbine shaft and not boosting anything.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby girl. :)

I'll send you a PM.

John

That's what I don't didn't understand as to why it spun freely but no boost.

I guess I'll have to tear it apart again and try and hold one side, I couldn't get my hand in there so I stuck my phone down with the camera on and spun it from the exhaust side. And I read your pm john, thank you for another option, and I'll weigh my choices soon and let you know.

• 1 month later...

So the other day I drove my car, and had to pull in front of this truck towing a boat, and I know that my car is less than gutless so I start going for it, and my car pulls and I'm pretty sure I heard my blow off...

So I got on the next street and went through 1st and 2nd trying to make it blow off, and sure enough...Boost gauge reads properly and car pulls.

So it fixed itself, which I completely hate. That was 2 weeks ago and its still driving fine now.

Is it possible the stock oil line clogged up temporarily and made the car shut the turbo off (which sounds ridiculous) in order to save it from further damage, and eventually it unclogged and now is running fine? That's all i can come up with

lol these cars!!! Such headaches but such joy. Glad you "fixed" it. Couldn't tell you what the issue is. I'd go with wastegate staying up not allowing boost to be built. I would now rule out the shaft being snapped. The fact white smoke was coming out and potential oil dripping somewhere would be a cause for concern however!

No.

Any ideas or directions to what you think it was then?

lol these cars!!! Such headaches but such joy. Glad you "fixed" it. Couldn't tell you what the issue is. I'd go with wastegate staying up not allowing boost to be built. I would now rule out the shaft being snapped. The fact white smoke was coming out and potential oil dripping somewhere would be a cause for concern however!

Well its boosting great again so I don't think the shaft is snapped, and one of my tests when I was frustrated was unhooking the vacuum line from the waste gate (making it full boost capacity of the turbo), however it didn't build any boost or did it even sound like it was

I'm glad its working again, but its so frustrating for sure

Archived