LegacyGT.com

95 Legacy 2.2 - is it OBDII

I just talked with the guys that sometimes inspect my cars. I mentioned that I am putting a 95 Legacy 2.2 into my 1997 Outback 2.5.

He said I must make sure that the 95 is computer ready for OBDII. I believe that my 95 Legacy is OBDII but can't be 100% confident at the moment.

Is the 95 Legacy 2.2 OBDII compliant?

If I stick a 2.2 OBDI into the 97 that requires OBDII he said I will never get it to pass emissions and I can not get a waiver.

This emissions inspection stuff is a PITA!

Ah --- the 95 Legacy just pulled in and I went out to check. The OBDII scanner plugs in and runs so therefore I would say a 95 Legacy automatic is OBDII. Right?

In my experiance 95 cars are a wierd mix of obd1&2 some are full obd1 others are 2. Some are hybrids like its obd2 but without the 16 pin DLC. Or vice versa. Try a global obd2 scan on ur 95 idf u can get it to comunicate with your car and pulll codes and stuff on gloabal obd2 then ur good to go

my OBDII scanner has always been able to pull codes on the 95 we own. If you say some Legacy's are and some are not, now I'm wondering about the 2.2 motor I'm getting out of the 95 Legacy.

Man did I get myself into a mess when I bought the 97 Outback with a miss. I'm learning how much I dislike the emissions inspections. More than that I am learning a greater distaste for the politicians that pass this stuff. It never effects them and their new car driving habits does it? :rolleyes:

In my experiance 95 cars are a wierd mix of obd1&2 some are full obd1 others are 2. Some are hybrids like its obd2 but without the 16 pin DLC. Or vice versa. Try a global obd2 scan on ur 95 idf u can get it to comunicate with your car and pulll codes and stuff on gloabal obd2 then ur good to go

I'm pulling codes off my 95 Legacy not the one the motor is coming out of and that one I can't pull codes becuase I don't own the car. It is a parts car and the motor has probably already been pulled for me.

This forum said that a 95 Legacy automatic with EGR was the one to get for the swap because it was compatible (computer and everything) so I am guessing that it is 100% compatible with OBDII.

Other sites say the same thing about the swap -- "95/automatic is the "perfect" engine for it."

If ur pullin obd2 codes out of ur 95 and thats the motor ur usin then ur good

The motor doesn't mean anything,
kind of true.

the wiring harness on the obd1 intake manifold may be different,

the sensors may be different, sending different info.

but if it plugs into the harness in the car,

it will likely run.

but i have never tried it,

so this is something of a guess on my part.

i KNOW the sensors, and intake wiring harness on a 95 ej18 are both obd1 and different.

i assume the obd1 ej22 (lego 90 - 94, impreza 93 - 95) is the same.

mostly OBD2. some of the cool stuff is not available, but it is truly OBD2. doesnt matter here in az tho, everything pre-96 has to be run the OBD1 way, regardless of being OBD2 compliant.

Archived