LegacyGT.com

Safe to drive with new injectors/pump?

I got new 850cc injectors and a DW 65c fuel pump. Of course I will have to have it completely retuned - this tuning is getting spendy! :rolleyes:

Anyway is it safe to drive on the existing tune for a short time after installing the new injectors & pump or should I not drive it at all? FYI I have a BNR 16G, stock TMIC, catless up pipe, downpipe, intake, etc, etc,

Your fueling will be way out of whack. I'm hardly the expert here, but I would expect it to run pretty rich until it's tuned. Your ECU thinks that a pulse of x ms will deliver y amount of fuel, but with bigger injectors, I'd expect it to deliver more fuel than the ECU is expecting to see...

FWIW, I'd suggest ditching that stock TMIC ASAP with your setup. It's going to limit your ability to cool your charge effectively at the lower end Stage 3 levels you're now at.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you've already decided on a tuner, ask them for a 'base map' for your setup so you can drive safely to them...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My understanding is this:

Initial start up may be a bit hard and rich, but during closed loop tuning (casual driving, no WOT) the car should see a rich A/F ratio, and adjust for that. Driving without boost and without high load situations should hold you in the closed loop threshold, and safe to drive. You aren't going to be washing the cylinder walls, that's for sure.

If the car seems to start and run like normal, and it doesn't backfire like an AK47, you should be fine to drive it to the tuner, just be very easy on it. I drove my 1.8T which uses a somewhat similar ECU programming to my tuner with doubled size injectors and it ran like nothing had changed. I was very afraid to start the car for the first time without tuning for these as well.

Yeah I am not planning on doing the installs and driving around for a week or anything. When i first did the turbo and add-ons I drove to the tuner... just stayed out of boost, low rpms the whole way and it felt just fine.

My understanding is this:

Initial start up may be a bit hard and rich, but during closed loop tuning (casual driving, no WOT) the car should see a rich A/F ratio, and adjust for that. Driving without boost and without high load situations should hold you in the closed loop threshold, and safe to drive. You aren't going to be washing the cylinder walls, that's for sure.

If the car seems to start and run like normal, and it doesn't backfire like an AK47, you should be fine to drive it to the tuner, just be very easy on it. I drove my 1.8T which uses a somewhat similar ECU programming to my tuner with doubled size injectors and it ran like nothing had changed. I was very afraid to start the car for the first time without tuning for these as well.

Interesting. That does make logical sense, but then again logic doesn't always apply to how these things actually work. In the event I don't receive my base map from my tuner before my swap is done, I guess I'm going to find out how accurate this is!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm going to say this once, the new injectors will flow 35% more fuel with stock mapping. You can wash the oil right off the cylinder wall, doesn't mean you will but are you going to role the dice? loose and that equals new motor. I've seen it happen.. if you drive the car, drive straight to the tuner and make sure he's close.

Heh, tuner is 40 minutes from home, all freeway. If I don't get a base map in time from my own tuner, might have to pay Cryo or Bren to create something for me to get by on until my dyno day.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived