LegacyGT.com

Just bought my first Subaru. A 2006 Legacy GT in Atlantic Blue Pearl.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You obviously don't know much. Thanks for playing :)

I've:

1. Rebuilt motor

2. Replaced end-links

3. Replaced fuel lines

4. Hunted down dash rattles

5. Hunted down door rattles

6. Fix roof liner

7. Broken clips on just about everything that has one that you might touch

8. Oil consumption

9. Leaky valve cover gasket replacement

10. TMIC replacement due to leaks

11. Fixing front end shimmy - known problem in our years.

12. Chased down blown off connections because Subi cannot design them to stay connected.

The build quality of these cars is poor. I've got a car I track, with same mileage, that is tigher and in better shape.

What makes things worse, is most of my problems are known Subaru issues.

Coming from a V8 powered BMW, this doesn't really phase me. I doubt I'll ever own such an unreliable car again in my life.

True but their service department sees a lot of crap

I know, my machine shop buddy see's at least one set of subaru heads a week with bad valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It would make sense for them to look at this forum...that's why they don't..

Subaru doesn't care. They don't care they put bad tunes in the boosted cars. They don't care their FA20 motor can and does blow up. They don't care about ownership long term. They don't care they build a sub-par motor. Their AWD tech is 2 decades behind the times.

They sell cheapy built AWD sedans with a 'rally' flair. That is their entire company in a nut shell. Pretty much everything else fails in the market place.

They might even fight you on warranty to avoid paying out. Cause while they're 'built with love' they don't love you. They love you when you buy and that's that.

That's the attitude you get when dealing with any subaru dealership too...no pun intended.

I love my legacy and I love subarus but I am starting to think about other cars now for when it may come time to upgrade...I'm definitely not a fan of the new wrx/STI...f-ing corolla-Evo...

I really love the 2005 STI. If I get another subaru it would be one of those or an 07-09 spec B

Infiniti is a great brand and has really shown their stripes in the last decade.

I would consider an Acura at this point -- I really like the new IS and the TSX, especially since both come with AWD options. I would even think about a Lex, but again those are all options that I would pay nearly twice as much for -

For the fit, finish, and value, I still think I'm getting a good deal with my LGT. If a motor can last the length of payments on the rebuild I'd consider that I've gotten my money's worth.

I'm looking for a car for my wife right now, we test drove an 06 g35x and we both loved it but the dealership wanted way more than it valued out and wouldn't budge on the price even though we were paying cash...they're idiots lol but she is still trying to make up her mind of what she wants...so far, it has to be black/white/charcoal grey, awd/4wd, auto (preferably) and be stylish, have decent pick-up...and have less than 100k, be reliable, and no more than 12.5k$ .....yeah she isn't too picky lol

Though, she went from wanting a Ford edge, to a Nissan rogue, to an STI, to a g35, to a volvo s60, to a ford escape, to a....it goes on...but we have it sort of narrowed down.

Every car company is out there to make money, it's not just subaru, but for the price, what other awd sedan even compares?

The efforts to make this 4th gen fast only get it in the zone of what many stock cars do stock.

You're going to tell me you can get a good LGT for less then a similar car. True.

At the time I paid 15.9K for this 05 with 59k on the clock. I could have bought a TL SH-AWD for $24-26k in 6sp. Looks aside the TL is more car, better AWD system, nicer tranny, more reliable and N/A. The motor will go 300k. If you drop $5k into an SC kit you can boost it.

I've put nearly $10k into this car after buying, rebuilding the motor and fixing problems subaru fails to. In the process I have increased the power by 40%. Interestingly though, the interior has rattles, car has a front end shimmy and it isn't as luxury a car as the TL; nor is it as new. So I think I'd rather have bought more car up front, had a decent NAV system and debated putting an SC kit into the TL.

So while purchase price is lower, long term costs are higher. I enjoy my Legacy, and actually like it now; but it's a PITA car and I'll never buy another POS from Subaru.

I'm looking for a car for my wife right now, we test drove an 06 g35x and we both loved it but the dealership wanted way more than it valued out and wouldn't budge on the price even though we were paying cash...they're idiots lol but she is still trying to make up her mind of what she wants...so far, it has to be black/white/charcoal grey, awd/4wd, auto (preferably) and be stylish, have decent pick-up...and have less than 100k, be reliable, and no more than 12.5k$ .....yeah she isn't too picky lol

Though, she went from wanting a Ford edge, to a Nissan rogue, to an STI, to a g35, to a volvo s60, to a ford escape, to a....it goes on...but we have it sort of narrowed down.

The Lexus IS350 AWD is an option for me. My next car will probably be that or the TL SH-AWD in 6speed. We'll see how the new body style does in person and how it holds value.

At 189,000 miles my car has no rattles either ....well...this time of year. When its cold it has a few, but I have found that if I stick a piece of dense foam between the windshield and the dash in the lower corners it helps a lot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Lexus IS350 AWD is an option for me. My next car will probably be that or the TL SH-AWD in 6speed. We'll see how the new body style does in person and how it holds value.

I do love the TL. And, Lexus does make a pretty car, with some wheel gripping power...I'll have to look into those. Though, she is leaning towards SUV :/

And the tl's awd system is not as good, this has been proved with roller tests

No offence but do you have any clue what you're talking about?

SH-AWD with only one wheel having grip

SH-AWD with only one side of car having grip

No Subaru to date can do what the SH-AWD system has been doing for nearly a decade. Please get up to speed before you post this noise. In fact lifting the front wheel of my car over bad uneven ground will see ALL the power put to that wheel. In the RL with SH-AWD this doesn't happen. System kicks in, and transfers power to the 3 wheels with grip. Very few systems can drive a car on just one wheel with grip, the SH-AWD system can. I'm not aware of others that do this beyond Land Rover.

Archived