LegacyGT.com

Just bought my first Subaru. A 2006 Legacy GT in Atlantic Blue Pearl.

And here is me on the typical diagonal test getting stuck. SH-AWD would route power to the sides with grip. My subi, puts power to the wheels with out. LSD be dammed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FyOt8SUAb4&list=UUF33cy5drTox1n3e9xm-kYg&feature=share]2005 Subaru Legacy GT Auto Stuck - YouTube[/ame]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people on this forum love their legacies....you're saying they're all wrong, and that it's a horrible car.... it's hard to not take that as insulting

Don't take it personally. I own the car to :)

There is the common dash rattle, window rattle, door panel rattle and things of these nature.

Many folks like me, bought the car because it was a less expensive version of an AWD car made by someone else. It's been a shock for me to learn the hard way how little you get with your purchase.

My outline of the cost structure above illustrates the problem well.

Things like the design defects on the h4 motor, it's desire to consume oil, hot running design and difficulty to perform work yourself all add up.

If you're looking for an ultra cheap awd sedan subaru offers cheaper. If you think you've snagged some deal, I think the buyer is in for a surprise.

Sorry, I was assuming the none aws sh-awd to be very similar to that of honda's realtime awd

I've attempted to duplicate this on ice myself. What I can tell you, even with snow tires, the system just powers the slipping wheels. Basic wheel speed and just enough friction power the car forward.

Subaru's AWD system has been grossly over marketed and the hype needs to die down. Symmetrical or not, it's a very crude and basic system.

Where as for example, the SH-AWD platform is good for both on and off road use. That says a lot to me.

As for the market difference. I can afford $12-15k like I can afford $25k. In the used market maybe that's an unfair comparison. I wanted the $10k for something else; but I spent it on the car anyway... darn.

I took mine through some rough quading trails the day I got it, and in the mud it sent power to both rear wheels instantaneously, I dont even bother shoveling my way out of my driveway In a snowstorm unless it's over 8 inches, and I had worn down all seasons

Something may be up with your diffs

I just spent awhile watching this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpp5tW71qYI]AWD sistems wars (testing) on rollers - YouTube[/ame]

Vovlo's system in this test is actually better than the Subaru's.

When the rollers are on the side of the vehicle the Subaru just spins (2:01) - the volvo's got off (7 min mark).

sidenote: BMWs suck they couldn't get over any of the rollers in anyway.

There is a newer forester at 7:30. It does exactly the same.

I don't know if it has a rear LSD though and that might make a little bit of a difference. My experience so far with my Outback has been in super slush / crap tires - my front left tire just spun and none of the other wheels seemed to be doing anything.

- I would hope an STI would be a different story, but that drive train isn't exactly common.

Hard to say what car has what advantage - here is the Subaru doing better than the Volvo's (2:25 - Volvo is right after).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0]Subaru AWD vs. Everyone Else - YouTube[/ame]

Archived