LegacyGT.com

How to Install a Lightweight Crank Pulley

I don't know what's going on with your shop

It's super easy to install.

The guy did way too much work. Heck the third time around I didn't even remove the intake snorkel :lol:. It's easier to do the crank pulley then to do spark plugs on this car :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 months later...
hey guys,

i feel like i'm getting some mis-information on the GS crank pulley install. i am being told you have to have the grimspeed tool to properly torque the pulley without pulling the motor out of the car. also being told this separation of the stock pulley is incredibly rare and if it does separate, the chances of it damaging anything are low. thoughts?

It can and will come apart. Mine had 130,000kms and left me stranded on the side of the road, cut up my timing belt cover and wrecked my AC switch.. Still have no AC. (Too cheap to fix the AC) but the lightweight pully is cheaper then the new timing belt cover... Trust me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I installed the GS pulley this past weekend. Mine weighed exactly the same too, 2.05 lbs.

Torque it to 95ft-lbs

That is what's listed in Grimmspeed's install guide but that spec is for 2.0L motors. Crank pulley bolt torque spec for LGTs is 132.7 ft-lbs per the service manual and I gather that would be the same for other 2.5L Subarus. The guy who posts on nastysock with the username GrimmSpeed (one of their engineers I believe) recommended going with the factory torque spec for your year/engine but they've never updated their install guide. I doubt it's going to fall off at 95 ft-lbs, but I felt better going with 130.

• 7 months later...

Reviving this one for a 5eat question.

Do you guys think this trick will work on our gt's? I can't tell what motor he's working on

I'm nervous about bump starting the bolt off and also don't feel like shelling out 50 for a GS removal tool. Suggestions?

Note this comment posted on the You Tube channel:

"This makes crank pulley removal easy, however at a price. In this example, the alternator pulley shaft is not designed to withstand that much force. A crank pulley is cranked down to around 100 ft lbs so imagine the force on the alternator pulley shaft when loosening or tightening the crank pulley bolt. I did this on my Subaru and now the alternator pulley does not spin true. Just a word of warning."

Not a good idea IMHO.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

That was my suspicion...Thanks Sarge

Every option seems to have a downside, just gotta weigh each and go the best route.

Looks like the safest way to tackle the auto is to use the GS tool. Now I need to find one of those forum "loaners" from ages ago.

Archived