LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Swaybars With Stock Endlinks

gordata

I just picked up a set of Hotchkis Front And Rear Swaybars, I want to use the stock endlinks or the Moog ones, Is that possible or do I have to use aftermarket ones? Anyone running stock end links that has run into issues. I will buy endlinks but waiting for boxerfest or WBM to pick up a set of from and rear for a deal.

Sure you can reuse them, I don't know of any fitment or clearance issues although I have seen on here where they have been known to break if the sway bar gets off centered. They will wear out very fast though. Could lead to suspension damage if one breaks.

I've run stock rear end links with my whiteline bar for 2yrs with out issue

I tend to see people put front aftermarket and leave the stock rears. What are you running up front?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would just do links while you're at it. Whiteline or kartboy...just my.02. It's kinda like spending a bunch of money on brakes but running the cheapest tire you can find...

I've run Moog/OE replacement on aftermarket sways before. You'll definitely notice a dramatic difference with the sways alone but the links will definitely finish things off nicely in removing body roll.

I would just do links while you're at it. Whiteline or kartboy...just my.02. It's kinda like spending a bunch of money on brakes but running the cheapest tire you can find...

I've run Moog/OE replacement on aftermarket sways before. You'll definitely notice a dramatic difference with the sways alone but the links will definitely finish things off nicely in removing body roll.

The only way a link is going to affect the amount of body roll is if it breaks...

As I stated earlier, Stock links are fine, there shouldn't be any fitment issues but they are not designed for the additional load HD sways impart. Also, you probably will have to cut at least one of the old ones off if they are more than several years old. The OEM links do not hold up when at extreme angles, i.e. the sway bar becomes off centered.

Stiffer links will decrease body roll. Not nearly to the extent of sways but there would be no market if there was no improvement over OE.

The additional load, as you mentioned, would be enough for me to replace them. Or OP can see how they fare and report back. Personally, I just don't like repeatedly replacing the same items on my car. Stock links might be "fine" but are not great IMO. Just replaced a set for a friend and was able to pull them apart with my hands at 120K.

Stiffer links will decrease body roll. Not nearly to the extent of sways but there would be no market if there was no improvement over OE.

The additional load, as you mentioned, would be enough for me to replace them. Or OP can see how they fare and report back. Personally, I just don't like repeatedly replacing the same items on my car. Stock links might be "fine" but are not great IMO. Just replaced a set for a friend and was able to pull them apart with my hands at 120K.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if swaybar endlinks decrease bodyroll then why do we all replace our swaybars & endlinks, and not just endlinks. And as far as the comment about "no market if there was no improvement over OE", You agree that every part out there is better than OE, just because it's out there?

Stiffer links prevent them from deforming under load, and may help to "tighten" the feel of the suspension, plain and simple. If you have a end link that is flexing enough to affect body roll.... I just don't even know. That's not good. The length of the endlink is static, which unless the laws of physics have changed, means that they can't affect the distance the swaybar changes relative to wheel travel. I'm sure someone has come up with a crazy cantilevered swaybar endlink setup to create a progressive increase in roll resistance (if not it's my idea ;)) buy our legacy's don't have that capability

Any endlink, with the exception of disconnects in offroad applications is designed to firmly and securely attach the swaybar to the control arm / axle. They are not designed to deform / elongate in any fashion. This would defeat the purpose of the swaybar. The advantage aftermarket has over stock endlinks is structural rigidity, increased wear resistance, and depending on application, some sort of adjust-ability for changes in ride height. The only possible way that a swaybar endlink could affect the amount of bodyroll is if the link is worn out and allowing for unintended range of motion or if it is disconnected.

/Rant

I paid 40 bucks from Moog front and rear endlinks. I just got them in case the factory ones dont play nicely when I remove them. I will wait for boxerfest or WBM to see if I score a set at a good price. Changing endlinks is not something hard to do after the fact.

Just curious, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will be preloaded due to the arc the suspension travels in if the suspension is unloaded ( in the air ). Not a vertical force in the sense that a sway bar would prevent roll, rather a torsional force lateral due to the radius of travel. Pictures would help but I'm failing at finding a photo of an unloaded suspension with endlink in the shot.

With a ball-in-socket style (like OEM or Moog) the only benefit of doing it with the suspension loaded is that things are easier to line up during install. Shouldn't matter to the performance of the end link.

Again, this is for a ball-in-socket style.

I just want to bring to your attention that there was a market for the pet rock at one time.

I replaced my end links when I did my sways. Are they stiffer than stock? Definitely, and probably along every axis. Does that mean they positively affect body roll? Not sure... maybe. I know that by replacing them, I'm a lot less likely to have to replace broken ones down the line. Plus, they look cool, for all those times that the crowds gather to catch a glance of my undercarriage.

Tits mcgee

They will be preloaded due to the arc the suspension travels in if the suspension is unloaded ( in the air ). Not a vertical force in the sense that a sway bar would prevent roll, rather a torsional force lateral due to the radius of travel. Pictures would help but I'm failing at finding a photo of an unloaded suspension with endlink in the shot.

Are you a sway bar scientist? Lol. Jk man

Just fyi, if both wheels are off the ground at the same time, this doesn't happen as you described. Just had to do it last night to adjust the front. Now if one wheel were off the ground, you have all kinds of problems then for fitting.

Are you a sway bar scientist? Lol. Jk man

Just fyi, if both wheels are off the ground at the same time, this doesn't happen as you described. Just had to do it last night to adjust the front. Now if one wheel were off the ground, you have all kinds of problems then for fitting.

No,not a swaybarologist. Just common sense.

It will still occur with both wheels in the air. The torsional force gets applied by the sway bar when the load is unequal on each wheel. The lateral for gets applied when the suspension is unloaded. Try to put a set of whiteline HD front links on with the car in the air and get back to me. It's not as noticeable with ball/cup links.

IMO having the front end on ramps is loaded plenty to install a swaybar and endlinks. You just don't want the suspension at full droop.

Unless you're doing a corner balance and are zero'ing out your adjustable swaybar endlinks, then you need a flat surface with equal static load.

Archived