LegacyGT.com

Possible Rod Knock or Something - '05 5MT LGT Wagon - Thoughts?

Another update. Got the car back and it's been good except for a few bugs like you get when you do a complete motor rebuild. Minor boost leaks, an oil leak etc that have all been fixed by the shop. No big deal. Car feels like new which is nice! I'm driving it like a grandma for the first 500 miles and then taking it back for another oil change and inspection and then ecu tuning.

After all this I finally found the REAL reason why the motor blew in the first place. It wasnt the piston piece like earlier reported. There was a mixup and that was a different engine. Soooo- the intercooler I bought had loose metal flashings in it from where it was welded. They were inside and invisible. I figured since it was a brand new intercooler it would be clean and perfect, but not so. They noticed AFTER the motor was rebuilt that there were some metal shavings inside of it. I saw them blow it out when I was up there and all these little metal pieces came out that looked like welding flashing from the manufacturing process. They shot it with compressed air and high flow water to clean it completely and it's been fine.

This was a Torque Solution TMIC purchased new from Import Image Racing. Full of metal pieces. Cost me over $5,000. So the moral is, clean out your TMIC and don't get a Torque Solutions TMIC!

Archived