LegacyGT.com

Oil additive question

You could put in a very thick motor oil to hide the knock when you sell it. That would be unethical of course and not something I would do. Mind you, my wife had it done to her on one car from a dealer.

The trick years ago was to put some sawdust in the oil and it masked the knock just long enough to get rid of the car. Anyone that has purchased a car without full disclosure knows how painful it is to be expecting to have all of your troubles with cars end for at least a little while and find that they all of a sudden just got worse after you paid your hard earned money.

Take your car to a good shop and have them diagnose it. Don't put any crap in the oil that can make it worse or even cause more damage.

I wrote in a different thread that I had a knock on a cold start that you could hear when the car was in gear it would last 10 min or so then go away. I took it to subaru dealer they told they could not hear anything. So when I went to pick it up I heard the knock. So I went and got someone to hear it. He apologized for his mechanic for not hearing it and asked if I wanted to leave it. I live 45 miles away and my ride just left. Then he told me he would come pick it up. So I said ok. When the got it back to the shop the heard the knock just long enough to take off the timing chain cover. Then they claim the knock went away. So now I'm on the hook for 140 bucks. Needless to say I told them I wasn't paying anything. The car is still under a warranty

Archived