LegacyGT.com

Broken Door Handle Help!

I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon and my drivers side rear door handle isn't working. Over the winter when it got really cold my rear door was frozen shut so when I went to unlock it and open the rear door I pulled on the handle and heard something fall into the door - now from the exterior I can't open my rear drivers side door (I can only open it from the inside). I got a quote from the dealership to replace it for roughly $300 (labor, painted etc). I was able to pull off the interior door panel and take a closer look. It seems like there is a broken plastic piece that would have been to move the cable to unlatch and open the door. I could probably replace it myself but i'm not sure where to order it from or which part to order, can someone point me in the right direction (Exterior rear door handle on drivers side)? Thanks.

yeah, I went through this on a rear door. I was able to fix it temporarily with jb weld, but it eventually broke.

there's not real way to fix just the doorhandle, just have to get a whole new assembly, which only come in unpainted black now.

i picked up a (wrong color) door handle off a partout that I haven't painted or installed yet, although the removal install isn't too bad of a job.

what's a good website to order the handle from? i have a friend who i can get it painted from and just install it myself. Also, being that its rear drivers side - thats considered left side handle (just want to verify before ordering, i dont want to order it for the wrong side)? Thanks.

A quick google search and i found this but not sure it's correct - can someone confirm?

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2006_Legacy25L-4AT-4WD25I-LIMITED-WAGON/_54105_6023594/DOOR-PARTS-LATCH--HANDLE-REAR/B13-607-02.html

Part Info

62160A

HANDLE ASSEMBLY-REAR DOOR,OUTER LEFT

$42.48

61022AG03ANN

Would i need any other pieces to go with it?

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: so i went online and found a seller with the correct door handle (Drivers side rear), for $40 shipped so i went for it. It was a perfect match and had a friend that owns a body shop paint it for me for free. The install took me about an hour (probably could have done it quicker if i knew where all my tools went). One thing i came across - when removing the old door handle, and you remove the two 10mm bolts holding it onto the door - you'll see some plastic clips on the bottom. These clips need to be broken/cut with angle cutters or it wont come out. I guess Subaru designed them this way so once they go in, they dont come out. Just make sure when you go to install your new handle - connect all you cables before popping it into place or you'll have a hell of a time trying to connect it once it's in the door. Another thing i noticed - to get to the second 10mm bolt thats not in sight - i found it easier to remove the clasping mechanism (3 screws hold it in place) that holds the door locked in when it's closed. This allowed me to see what i was doing in there to get the socket over the bolt to remove it. Over all its pretty easy to replace.

Just found this thread, I did the same basic things a few years back when mine broke, had a buddies body shop fix it for me.

Hey hint, when your rear wiper begins to screw up, have the body shop fix the broken wires in the rubber boot up by the hinges.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived