LegacyGT.com

swapping newer LSD rear end in 97 LGT?

Brad_J

First off, I'm new to this forum. So I apologize if this isn't the right forum to post this.

97 LGT sedan w/auto (4.444:1 differentials ?)

My rear differential is toast (I think). The inner CV joint has over 1/8" of radial play in the diff, so I might as well upgrade while I'm at it.

Will a LSD differential and CV axles from a 2001 or newer 2.5RS Impreza (auto) bolt in? I've searched and seen swaps like this, but no mention of modifications required. Will the housing bolt in, are the outer CV's the same? I know the axle shafts aren't the same length with the LSD's, but I'll get those with the diff anyhoo.

Low mileage salvage parts are hard to find for these older years, so I'm hoping the newer parts are an option...

Brad

IIRC, the rears are identical. I believe the axles on the leagacy are longer so y ou would want to reuse yours. I've done the swap on an older legacy turbo and it was a breeze, so long as you have the right gear ratio.

The bast place to ask the queston and find our for sure is the nasioc "subaru conversions" forum. It might be answered for you in one of the stickys.

Here is a good start:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=401263

Thanks Rob. I still haven't gotten my e-mail for activating my NASIOC membership, so I can't post or search there (and I can't find a link to get ahold of anyone there to resolve it). I'll see if I can sweet talk the 'yards here to let me walk around and measure. Thanks for the quick reply.

Brad

You're right Brady. There isn't much for 2000-2001 RS's around here, so I'm hoping I can get one out of a newer Legacy or Forester (there's a ton of those around). I found more info on NASIOC about inner/outer CV axle splines for different years, so I'm a little more confident now. Thanks for the reply.

Brad

Archived