LegacyGT.com

Flashing red BRAKE light on dash.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had the flashing brake light, took it to dealer they told me it was due to brake switch failure. They replaced and as soon as I left the dealership it started flashing again. It was due to me replacing brake bulbs with LED bulbs. Switched back to stock style and the light hasn't flashed since. Even had the dealership refund me all the money spent.

• 2 months later...

Image1486133337.335333.thumb.jpg.b36e7ef886e2a778e2f0f0634c0d3ba2.jpg

TCS and ABS static on

BRAKE light flashing

all occurred on morning commute

Just had STi blacks put on - have been perfect for a couple weeks

Just had full maintenance done, double checked brake fluid is right up near max line

I'm not seeing anything in manual about all 3 lights together - I do see the below about the electronic brake force distribution and the ABS static + BRAKE flashing - just not sure if the addition of TCS means anything specific - the EB turns on/off fine - I use it everyday as my driveway is a hill - brakes appear to operate fine

Image1486133623.096828.thumb.jpg.fe8c527a45adf17b1b6a445e14f7a7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code was C0026 for the right rear ABS sensor, and then they said an outdated code was thrown for ECM which they think just triggered as a result of the ABS - this was C0057

ABS sensor was $58, so $300+ for install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the vacation pics, it should be a 10 minute job, assuming you leave all of your tools on the other side of the garage until you need them and guess wrong on socket sizes a couple times. Couple bolts and a clip holding the wire, one bolt holding the sensor into the top of the knuckle, and one connector to unplug. There's no indication that you need to initialize the new sensor or anything, just plug and play. If you have a copy of the vacation pics, it's hiding under chassis > vehicle dynamics control > rear ABS wheel speed sensor.

If you're going to do it yourself, I'd at least pull it out of the knuckle and see if you can see anything wrong with it- I'm not sure what kind of adjustment range these sensors have (if any), but if the sensor is too far away from the tone ring, it won't send a strong enough pulse for the BCM to register it as a pulse. You can probably rule that out if you get the light after you start the car and before you move, though. Given that you just did some suspension work, it's entirely possible that the sensor wires got yanked on hard enough to break their connection to the sensor.

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2010_Legacy25L-TURBO-6MT-4WDGT-Limited-Sedan/SENSOR-ASSEMBLY-REAR-LEFT/49236697/27540AJ03A.html

Edit: that's for the back left per your first post, I'd imagine the other side is probably about the same price.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just replaced the rear pads 2015 Legacy Ltd w/eyesight.

I noted that the manual does not show areas to grease.

The Subaru rear pad kit does not include grease

The Subaru rear pad kit instructions do not show areas to grease.

When I pulled it apart there was no sign of grease on the pad ears or on the seats in the caliper.

No sign of grease on the pins/bolts.

So I din't grease.

Please tell me I don't have to pull those off again - it is sort of a PITA compared to the usual pad replacement.

BTW front brakes came with grease, manual shows areas to grease, pad kit instructions show areas to grease.

Thanks

this is a 5th gen forum, not the 6th gen - that being said, I pretty much always grease the contact points. There usually isn't much grease remaining when you do the brakes (just some crud). Some pads have a rubber layer on the backing plate/shim that serves the same purpose of reducing noise/squealing where the piston and caliper ears contact the pads. I'd still want to grease where the pad goes into the bracket - particularly if you live in the rust belt (clean it out, remove any corrosion product/debris and then grease the contact point where the pad ears go in the bracket).

If you didn't do it, the service manual certainly doesn't call it out, so I'd just call it a day and not worry about it unless it starts making noise or binding.

Archived