LegacyGT.com

Keep my spec.B or buy Camaro?

I've been thinking about demodding my spec.B and buying a late '80s Camaro IROC-Z to use as a toy/autocrosser. I'd either DD the stock spec.B or sell it and get a 2012+ Impreza hatchback to DD for the new tech and better MPGs.

Reason being, I want to get more into autcrossing and soon track days. I know the LGT can be good at those things with just a few more mods than I already have, but it's already started to become a little uncomfortable as a daily driver with the springs/struts. And, my LGT is still pretty nice, so I always feel guilty driving it hard at the autocross and hitting cones/kicking up rocks on it. Plus, if I break it on the course somehow, it's my only car and I need to get to work.

I've wanted an IROC-Z since I was like 5 years old. I was thinking about making it more of a track/weekend cruising car, and then have something I can keep nicer and more comfortable for daily driving. I figure the Camaro would be better track car given similar mod level than the LGT and I wouldn't mind the wear and tear on it as much since it wouldn't be my DD.

I don't think I want to take a car as nice as my spec.B and make it a track car, but when I look at it, I just think it looks so cool with what I've done to it. And I like the unique factor, so I'm just torn on what to go with. Interested in what the guys on a LGT board think...

Here's my LGT:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dbl-d718s-2007-spec-b-205123.html

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/Scoobapalooza/photobucket-8140-1371509444807_zpsa6b255d0.jpg

General idea of how I might do an IROC:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/105_1791_zpsba2edab6.jpg

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

IROC Pros: dime a dozen, parts are dirt cheap, easy to work on and fix.

IROC cons: worst OEM drivetrain of any Camaro ever, stick shift cars are uncommon, most are beat to hell and back, mullet stigma.

If you have the $$$ and time to invest to make it a pretty wicked car, go for it. But I think there are better choices for an auto-x car. Better idea: Buy the IROC, gut it, put in a small block on squeeze and go faster for less.:lol::lol:

The irocs did not have the worst camaro drivetrain ever. They were like 3rd worst. The worst was probably those 150hp v8s gm was putting in camaros/trans ams during the "gas shortage" and with the new emissions shit. The 5.7 liter TPI wasn't really a bad engine. 245hp is blah but it is a iron block 350sbc so modding is there in every form. The only thin is if you want a stick car you coudln't get the 5.7 you can only get the 5.0 tpi. You can still make some power wit hthe 5.0 though. Probably more than enough for autocross. But an Iroc is not the ideal autocross car, but if it is a car you have wanted since you were a kid and you think it will make you happy then you should do it for those reasons.

It's possible :lol:

There's definitely better autocross cars, I'm really just wanting something I think is cool and capable of respectable performance. The IROC has always been at the top of that (realistic) list for me, based mostly on looks.

The other option is spending a bit more on the LGT and getting used to extra cone scuffs/rock chips. But I'm probably leaning towards an IROC. Any particular reason you don't like them, Penguin?

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I owned a 1994 Z28 so I have owned a Camaro. I do not think you will be pleased with the handling of that generation of Camoro (essentially the same architecture). The car was fun in a strait line but otherwise loud, obnoxious, crude, and not especially stable.

Many of my friends in HS had late 80's IROC-Z and Firebirds. I would not buy one. I though thought they were crude when they were new. The Corvette's of that generation are much better autocross cars, I had an 86, but I am not sure if I would use one of those to race car either...

I was never impressed with that generation of Camaro. Of course, I was the opposition at the time, racing a 1989 5.0 Mustang. IMHO the interior of the Camaro was horrible, and I didn't like the 1/2 acre of dashboard you had to look over to see out the front.

If you like the Camaro, buy one and fix it up as you please. Just don't expect it to be a very good AutoX or track car.

IMHO, I'd keep your Spec B the way it is and buy a cheap Miata to AutoX.

The interior of the iroc was on par with the interior of the 80s-93 mustangs. Both sucked balls. Them mustangs were smaller cars though.

Like everyone else said get the camaro if you really want it. But don't expect it to be an amazing auto-x car. They can be decent though with some good suspension but will never feel as nimble as some of the smaller cars.

I already went the route of spending a ton of money on my LGT to make it fast, but was never really happy with it as an autocross car. That's why I got my M3 (and that's why whitetiger got his Miata). It does everything pretty well out of the box. With minimal mods (tires, Koni yellows, FSB, alignment), it's already way more rewarding to drive than my LGT.

I would think the same could be said for a older muscle car, but it CAN be a fast autocrosser, given the right experience and setup time, BUT we're talking about a lot of money and experience. One of the top autocrossers in the country campaigns his 88 T/A year after year with great success.

If you want anything remotely fast, you'll be heading into ESP at minimum. You'll have to fit 315 Hoosier A6s all around. That alone is a lot of money, season after season. You'll be running through tires very quickly on it. Be prepared to be working on the car weekend after weekend. If you are married, soon you won't be.

Many of the muscle car guys in 80s or early 90s muscle cars move into C Prepared. That's a lot of cash and development time.

Sounds more like he wants to just do autocross for fun and use the car for cruising too.

Right. The idea here is to have a fun/quick/cool car to cruise with and enjoy in the summer and autocross for fun. I already run my LGT in ESP because of the increased boost in the tune and I'm on street tires, so I'm used to being near the bottom of the rankings. I'd probably be in ESP or SM with what I have in mind for an IROC.

Not too many cars from the 80s had nice interiors by today's standards. New seats and a few panels recovered in leather or alcantara and it'd be fine. But I probably wouldn't do more than seats anyway since I don't need it to be a luxury car.

I think I've decided to give the IROC a try if/when I find a deal I like. I'll drive it for a few months before I decide it was a mistake or not, and keep it or re-sell it at that point. Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've enjoyed reading the different opinions so far :)

I just recently sold my '94 F-body, which would have been a step up from a 3rd generation from a handling and power perspective. Even with Koni's, the handling wasn't that great. It's a long hood, and placement is difficult, high speed handling isn't confidence inspiring and the solid rear axle doesn't cope well with mid corner bumps.

For a fun/quick/cool car, I think there are more modern alternatives that would exceed the performance potential of a 3rd gen and be more enjoyable to drive.

if you want a autox/track day car, 80's/90's GM cars are generally not the first thing one thinks of.

IF you want a used car, a miata or s2000 is probably the way to go for reliability and out of the box performance. you can get a NC1 MX-5 or a AP1 S2000 for 10-15k with not to many miles on them.

Archived