LegacyGT.com

2.2L head swap?

I got a 97 2.2 wagon 5speed. I ran into a guy with an 96?97? Imperza 2.2 and told me there is a certain set of heads from a forester "not sure what gen?" that is good for boosting? at least more tolerable. Any one know? I would like to make a cheap set up.

Several folks on this forum have had good luck using the DOHC heads from the 96- 99 EJ25D engines on the 2.2 engine. Here is a good thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dohc-ej22e-190650.html

Nice that easy. The 2.5 head on the 2.2. There are plenty of these at my you pull&pay. already got a hood. and a magna flow muffler from and Eclipse GST :)

• 1 month later...
With turboing I'd be more worried about a stronger bottom end. The second gens 2.2 isn't a stout block for boost to begin with. The heads are important too but if the block can't handle the boost there's no air flow entering the heads anyway. Lol

With turboing I'd be more worried about a stronger bottom end. The second gens 2.2 isn't a stout block for boost to begin with. The heads are important too but if the block can't handle the boost there's no air flow entering the heads anyway. Lol

Well tuned, the block can handle quite a bit w/97-99 25D heads. The pistons are no weaker or stronger than those used in the WRX (WRX guys have used 22E blocks & have tuned them running on stock boost with no issues). The rods & crank are forged, but the pistons are cast. If one were to replace the pistons & rods with stronger units, the hybrid would be a very tough machine.

Almost every Japanese engines have forged cranks. The forged rods I don't believe most are cast units. I rebuilt a 2.2 out of a 96 Legacy and I clearly remember the rods having casting lines down each side of the rod. Japanese engines usually are over built and most can handle some boost. But every body gets to the point of wanting more so imo it's better to over build the engine then just throwing it together.

If you have a pic of a 2.2 NA engines rod please post because I'll be able to tell if it's forged or not.

Many reputable sources state that Subaru rods are made from forged steel. I have a set of STi and 22T (the 22T are exactly the same as the 22e rods) rods sitting out right now at home and they both have the parting lines you are speaking of. However, they are thick parting lines whereas cast rods have a much thinner parting line. I've asked this question on other Forums and have been told repeatedly that they are forged. Maybe everyone is lying to me, who knows, it's the internet so of course it could be wrong.

Six Star Speed for example claims they are forged: Myth #1: WRX crankshafts and connecting rods are "cast" not forged. "Fact: All Subaru EJ motor crankshafts and connecting rods are made using forged steel material. The crankshafts being made from forged high-carbon steel and rods from forged steel."

Almost every Japanese engines have forged cranks. The forged rods I don't believe most are cast units. I rebuilt a 2.2 out of a 96 Legacy and I clearly remember the rods having casting lines down each side of the rod. Japanese engines usually are over built and most can handle some boost. But every body gets to the point of wanting more so imo it's better to over build the engine then just throwing it together.

If you have a pic of a 2.2 NA engines rod please post because I'll be able to tell if it's forged or not.

I've spent time as a tech in a dealer & I can tell you that all Phase 1 EJ18/20/22 rods are forged steel. In fact, the rods are actually the least of anyone's worries. The pistons are what people should be worried about. But you're absolutely correct. The only way to rebuild is to replace all units.

I'd have to see a pic it's been a while since I've opened one up. I know some of the JDM STIs have fully forged bottom ends from the research I did went I was going to do a swap. If they are that's good info.

Archived