LegacyGT.com

Why use a plastic intake manifold?

jikhead

complex shapes, low heat transfer, smooth flow....the same reasons as BMW and other manufacturers. Proper reinforced plastic will hold as much PSI as a cast aluminum unit, yet store less absorbed heat from the motor below. This keeps intake charge temps lower for better control of combustion and more power.

So, is this why you must swap to an aluminum manifold if you go with a bigger turbo?

No, many people choose to swap because there are more WRX style turbos available than LGT style turbos. WRX style turbos are also cheaper.

If you want to go into custom fab. PDX plans on running 400hp on thier rotated mount Garrett GT30 kit on the stock manifold.

If your going to go custom why not just swap the manifold to start with. You guys talk like intake manifolds are a costly piece, when infact they are not that expensive($100-150). If you have never seen the stock manifold then you cant say how efficient it is or isnt. I have actually had the manifold off the car and compared it with an STi intake manifold and it is MUCH MUCH more restrictive. The design is absolutely horrible.

I guarantee I will have spent as much on my rotated setup with the STi intake manifold as they will making a kit to work with the existing LGT manifold. I am enjoying my 371ft/lbs of torque every single day!!! :)

-Matt

I tried to get some pictures of the intake manifold but I cant get good shots of the inside of it. I am considering cutting it in half to find out for sure. Once I get the pictures uploaded I will post what I do have. I also got pictures of the stock TGV housings for those who dont completely understand what they do.

-Matt

A master Subaru mechanic I know says that it is just as good if not better than the STi intake manifold. It doesn't change shape or lose much strength under high temps (plastic is a very poor conductor of heat) and the flow is much smoother than with cast products.

As hard as it is to accept, plastic is much more exact, tons cheaper, lighter, and can be made with marvelous materials these days. If you notice, your radiator is topped (maybe the bottom too) with plastic. I've driven hard at 15-16psi in 105F days with no melt down or gasket failure. I'm sold. :shrug:

Just my $0.02 worth.

CJ

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

I wouldnt suggest an intake manifold swap until your ready to upgrade the turbo. Then all you would need is the Intake manifold and an STi TMIC. If your going all out then a FMIC would be a good choice, but would either need to be custom fabricated or an STi type FMIC should work. I will be able to confirm the STi type FMIC fitment here shortly and will do an extensive write up on it as well.

-Matt

helium is lighter than air, but you don't tires filled with it. :D

Actually.. I have seen this... as well as fill w/ nitrogen.

The only reason its not done everywhere is that its easier just to pump air from .. cough.. the air..then it is to store helium, etc for use ...

Archived