LegacyGT.com

WOOP noise from turbo...

I'm on the highway, between 65 and 75mph, 2500-2800rpm, and the turbo starts making this WOOP noise. It's quick, and only once every few seconds.

It's kinda like a quick sucking noise, obviously from the turbo area, and there's a brief loss of power when it happens. Sounds like the Geiko camel going WOOP WOOP but only once... Or maybe like a stone falling into a pond, but slightly louder.

Is the turbo dying or could it be something else?

Banjo bolt changed 25k ago, plenty of oil, was boosting just fine earlier today...

I do, I can get a RomRaider log of it, but not until next week. Will be going to the mountains for spring break first thing tomorrow morning (in my wife's car).

I've been doing some research, and I think it's probably the wastegate actuator, but not sure why. Maybe a vacuum hose issue? Or maybe the actuator is failing? If it were to fail, would it fail in the open or closed state?

I had the same thing happen yesterday. After the first time I started just being very cautious, then it happened two more times, the CEL/Cruise lights started flashing, and when I pulled away from the stoplight I was at I heard a very loud rattle.

I pulled into a parking lot and could not tell if the rattle was coming from the turbo, heat shields, or top end of the motor. I did not let it run for too long.

I have an 05, not sure on the miles as it is my wife's car. I plan to go look at some possible problems today.

I had the same thing happen yesterday. After the first time I started just being very cautious, then it happened two more times, the CEL/Cruise lights started flashing, and when I pulled away from the stoplight I was at I heard a very loud rattle.

I pulled into a parking lot and could not tell if the rattle was coming from the turbo, heat shields, or top end of the motor. I did not let it run for too long.

I have an 05, not sure on the miles as it is my wife's car. I plan to go look at some possible problems today.

Same thing happened to me on Friday. Random woop noises that sounded oddly loud. Seriously freaked me out at first. Then a slight rattling. I kept driving until the rattle turned into something worse. Sounded like the turbo shaft rattling as I gave it gas and it spooled up, stops very quickly as you let off, when boost drops. Long story short, a short bit down the road the rattling stopped and I lost all power, I believe the shaft seized. I will be hopefully having it diagnosed tomorrow or Tuesday.

[EDIT] No flashing lights for me. Not a single code was thrown, nor fucks given by my ECU.

[EDIT 2] I have an 06 OBXT

I do, I can get a RomRaider log of it, but not until next week. Will be going to the mountains for spring break first thing tomorrow morning (in my wife's car).

I've been doing some research, and I think it's probably the wastegate actuator, but not sure why. Maybe a vacuum hose issue? Or maybe the actuator is failing? If it were to fail, would it fail in the open or closed state?

I was thinking the wastegate actuator too. Here's a walkthrough on how to test the actuator.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/exh-02.htm

My wife's balls are delicious.

Yes, the actuator can be replace without taking off the turbo. It's also a good idea to pull the DP and check the shaft for play and the wastegate.

Here's the pic of the actuator and the adjustment nut.

SubaruBoostSystem_9.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

I heard a strange whine coming from the trubo this morning (pre boost), I wouldn't call it a woop sound, but maybe it was. It happened right after I threw a P0011 cell, going to check the Bajo bolt and filter tonight.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Archived