LegacyGT.com

eBay turbo

I have had a few ebay turbo's. They are cheap, price and in quality. Its hit and miss with them though, some have lasted a few thousand miles some a few hundred and if your lucky when it does blow up it doesnt destroy your engine. Its a gamble not worth it. Most of them are not accurately balanced. Get a VF52. They are a nice oem style replacement.

If that's your budget then you should be able to pick up a VF40 or VF46 off of a forum member for about that in decent condition, maybe a little bit less even. Any other turbo and you'll require a tune.

Not sure if the differences between the 40 and 46 are big enough that a tune would be needed. They're very nearly the same turbo.

You may know this so I'll ask before searching any further or making another post. What is the part number for the banjo bolt filter and copper crush washers? I've gotten two different numbers for the bolt ( 15194AA110 & 14445AA090) if you don't know I'm just gonna make another post because I can't find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$1000 should definitely bag you a VF52 with some cash to spare. Just keep an eye out on the for sale section of these forums/post a want to buy in the WTB section for 40/46/52.

Would also pay to keep an eye out on NASIOC for sale threads too - bound to be a few 52's there.

So wait, WHY do you need a new turbo and no tune. The more I read the more confused I get. If your turbo is shot you can rebuild for $325 from bnrsupercars.com, legacy page2, plus 70 bucks to ship there and back.

BNR also has a 16g turbo for 750, or 18g for 775, + 35 to ship, thats brand new with warranty, but you will need a 200 dollar filtered oil feed kit to go with it to have warranty.

Any way you slice it, a bigger turbo is worthless with the stock uppipe and downpipe! You might want to rethink things! If stock is your goal, rebuild it for 400 call it a day, comes with 1 year warranty as well.

The first thing to upgrade for 05 is up pipe, then downpipe. That puts you on stage 2 level, which is plenty power for a lot of people on stock turbo.

If you have no intention of upgrading up and down pipe, I wouldn't bother with wasting money on any turbo other than stock. Cause you will need a tune, not sure about vf46, but vf52 for sure.

If you don't want anymore power then don't bother with a VF52 - more money for a bigger turbo that you don't want. Rebuild your existing turbo or buy a used 40/46.

FWIW the 52 doesn't require fuel mods. It's recommended that you do upgrade the oil lines and install a larger down pipe.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vf-40-vf-46-vf-52ii-300awhp-177715.html

"OEM replacement turbo from dealer or Subaru parts vendors. Plenty of used ones around but check condition carefully. Only the stock turbo can be run safely on the stock tune. It seems that the VF-46 can be used on an earlier car to replace a VF-40 without re-tuning on the condition that the original VF-40 pill is used. The VF-40 wastegate actuator does not bolt up to the VF-46 so you will either need to use the VF-46 item or modify your VF-40 actuator to fit. Note that some tuners require different sized pills for stage 2 tunes. Please note that only these turbos really qualify for use as a stage 1 or 2 build. All others are different enough that they fall into the stage 3 category."

I'm all for the Ebay Turbo from Shanghai. It's a good price, I installed one last September into a less then optimal motor that has a HG leak. it runs and it's the GF's DD.. with 190+ k. Why spend more then you have to?

Can't tell if serious or. .

I also happen to have a leaking HG and am getting closer and closer to a new sb each week, but the last thing I'd do to a car with compression issues would be to upgrade the turbo.

Archived