LegacyGT.com

My LGT is using oil like crazy.....sometimes.

Alright, so my car is crazy. Sometimes when I change the oil, the level is fine and sometimes I have to put in like three quarts between changes.

There's no evidence of leakage on the ground, so where is it going? I don't ever really drive it hard, and how I drive it is pretty consistent over multiple oil changes. Help?

'05 LGT Limited, just over 100,000 miles.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

As some of us have noted, these car don't always use oil at the same rate. I figured mine would have used a bit on the drive home from VT on Sunday, it didn't. The week before it used a little. Some weekends it uses oil others it doesn't.

But your using that much. begin looking for the cause.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As Rob said, the PCV or turbo oil seals are the most common. You may want to have a compression test and may be a leak down test done too.

Is the car on the OEM MAP or Tuned ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I would hope its not rings with that low milage.

The PCV should be the first thing to check and make sure it rattles when you shake it.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ the GT's start about 1600.

The most common causes would be piston rings going bad. As Max mention above, it's a lot easier to replace the PCV and inspect the turbo for leaks. Once that's done, and the problem still exsits, then do a compression test to determine if 1 or more of the cylinders are leaking.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Not plugging Amsoil but this explains mysterious oil consumption. If all mechanicals are good.

AMSOIL was the first motor oil company in North America to use the NOACK volatility test to measure motor oil quality and performance. Although competing motor oil companies initially paid no attention to NOACK results, the test has since become a critical measurement tool throughout the industry.

Originally developed and used in Europe, the NOACK volatility test determines how much weight an oil loses through volatilization. The more a motor oil vaporizes, the thicker and heavier it becomes, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions. During the test, the subject oil is heated to 150°C for a specified period, causing the lighter oil molecules to boil off. The results are reported in the percentage, by weight, of the oil that evaporates. The lower the number, the better the oil resists volatilization.

Testing

Because they are made from impure, irregular molecules, conventional motor oils are more susceptible to the effects of heat. The small, light molecules in conventional oil tend to evaporate (volatilize) as the oil is heated, leaving large, heavy molecules behind and leading to oil consumption and an increase in the oilâEURs viscosity. If those large, heavy molecules are chemically unstable, they may also break down and form deposits on component surfaces, further inhibiting the release of heat into the oil stream.

Because their formulations minimize the quantity of impure, irregular molecules, synthetic motor oils are generally more resistant to volatilization, allowing them to perform better than conventional oils in the NOACK volatility test. However, due to varying qualities of base stocks and additives, not all synthetic motor oils perform the same in the NOACK test.

Modern engine designs generate more heat than ever, accentuating the importance of the NOACK volatility test for determining an oilâEURs ability to provide an adequate level of protection and performance. More horsepower, turbo chargers and aerodynamic styling have created extremely hot environments that receive less cooling from outside air, and high heat leads to oil oxidation, deposits and thickening in conventional oils.

NOACK Volatility Testing

Because AMSOIL synthetic lubricants contain only uniform molecules, they are much more resistant to thermal and oxidative breakdown. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils help keep components free of damaging varnish, deposits and sludge.

To qualify for the current API SM motor oil specification, gasoline motor oils cannot experience a weight loss of more than 15 percent in the NOACK test. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils were exceeding modern requirements over 20 years ago, while many current motor oils still have a hard time meeting this minimal requirement, increasing wear, fuel consumption and emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rebuilt my motor last year, because I was consuming a crap load of oil each month. At least a quart every 500 - 700 miles. Found out that the piston rings were toast, scoring on 2 of the cylinders and a small crack ringland on one of the pistons. After rebuilding the motor with forged pistons, I barely use 1/4 quart of oil between oil changes (5k miles).
My wife's balls are delicious.

You do know how to get a correct oil level reading on these cars, right ?

It took me a while to learn the porcess.

I removed the o-ring at the top of the dip stick.

park the car on level ground, come back a few hours later, pull the dip stick, read where the oil is. Sometimes there will be a V shape on the front side, flip the stick over, it will be flat on that side.

You do know how to get a correct oil level reading on these cars, right ?

It took me a while to learn the porcess.

I removed the o-ring at the top of the dip stick.

park the car on level ground, come back a few hours later, pull the dip stick, read where the oil is. Sometimes there will be a V shape on the front side, flip the stick over, it will be flat on that side.

Yeah....it's not much different from how I've done it on any of my cars except the ring. I don't do that.

Max, removing the oil ring can cause a vacuum leak. The crankcase is under vacuum, which is why the O-ring is there - to ensure that the dipstick column is as air-tight as possible.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have a AOS on my oil fill tube on my wagon. That's vented to the air, right ?

The other way I have checked the oil is to pull the dip stick about a inch. close the hood, go to work, after work come out and check the oil level.

Negs mate - it's under vacuum as well. Otherwise, how would the oil vapor be pulled back into the oil pan? And the Oil filler neck AOSes have an O-ring for the same reason.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived