LegacyGT.com

Front Suspension Clunks?

Hello All,

Our '08 OBXT 5MT has developed a clunking sound from the front end at 60K miles. With the weather I have not had a chance to pull the wheels and look around but to me it sounds like the upper strut bearings. Are these known to fail?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

No the tophat/upper strut cap/bearing typically is the last thing to produce the clunk instead pay attention to the lower suspensions pieces. A quick check that can be done without disassembling anything is turn the wheel all the way to the right or left get a flash light and examine the lower Control bushing surround. It it looks like it has been hammered around the edges it is probably shot and deflecting so much that it contacts the mounting point to the body.

At 60K depending on your roads and driving style they may be shot, cheap parts to buy but youll need a press to replace them.

Also its tough to test the front, rear LCA (rear larger round bushing bolted to the body) b/c to reproduce the clunk you almost have to be driving. While that bushing is shot it is still stiff to the point a human can't cause it flex and contact metal to metal.

If they are in good shape do the same wheel to the left or right method and examine your sway bar end links and get down inthe ground and examine the sway bar bushings. All are candidates for that mysterious front end "clunk" :)

+1 for sway bar end links. mine had some play and made annoying clunking noises until I replaced them.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Sway bar end links AND bushings and also rear LCA bushings.

Wow - do you drive on paved roads? ;)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Wow - do you drive on paved roads? ;)

Well...I'm in Michigan....where there are potholes deep enough to hear Chinese voices in...LOL...:lol:

But seriously, the sway bar bushings can also cause clunks as much as the end links do. Chrysler minivans have a terrible problem with the swaybar bushings (ask me how I know this...LOL) and when the front end begins to clunk, about 8 out of 10 times, it's the actual bushings and not the end links.

:)

Copy that guys, thanks for the info. The car is parked at the airport for a couple night but will take a look when it is back home.

So, if the bushings are looking a little tired is it worth while upgrading to poly? How about camber bolts? The car get driven moderately hard and we do get significant wear on the outside shoulder of the tires.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

Copy that guys, thanks for the info. The car is parked at the airport for a couple night but will take a look when it is back home.

So, if the bushings are looking a little tired is it worth while upgrading to poly? How about camber bolts? The car get driven moderately hard and we do get significant wear on the outside shoulder of the tires.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

I stayed Oem to void noise but poly is firmer.

Camber bolts wouldn't hurt. I went with the most camber stock and rotate more often with Americas tire cert program I will get new tires sooner.

Archived