LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Wagon with 75k

clout

Hello, everybody. I'm considering purchasing an '05 GT with 75k for around $9,000. The car is in pretty good shape aside from some interior trim pieces. It's changed hands a few times (4 titlings on the AutoCheck) and the current owner works at an independent auto shop. He says he hasn't had to do much to it.

After lurking on here and seeing everyone mention the compression/leakdown test results, I have a question. If there is poor compression, is the vehicle a lost cause?

So I bought the car and it seems okay. I've noticed some issues so far and was wondering if you folks might have some insight:

-carpet underneath driver's mat is always damp. I pulled the mat to wash it and allow the carpet to dry. After reinstalling and driving for a few hours, more wetness. No sunroof, so maybe a hole in the firewall somewhere? The mat hook is missing; does this go through the body?

-left turns at speed elicits a pinging, sort of like the metal clink of a jackhammer, from what sounds like the passenger front. Car does need an alignment.

-occasionally, when in 2nd or 3rd, it feels like the acceleration flutters as the turbo is kicking in.

-creaky clutch pedal that clicks (audible from exterior) at a certain point in 1st and 2nd.

I still haven't had a chance to jack it up and look underneath. I just hope I don't get burned.

- For the dampness, is it always raining where you are? That seems an odd issue...

- You left turn noise sounds like CV joint, or maybe a wheel bearing. Either issue can be a little bit expensive- depends if you want to fix yourself.

- This fluttering happening with foot all the way on the gas, or with just casual acceleration? Check the normal vacuum leak areas.

- Creaky clutch pedal- the creak internal and clicks from external? Only makes noise when shifting in 2nd and 3rd? If the clicking is more of a squealing, then the throw-out bearing is more likely the culprit. Does the noise change from engaging to dis-engaging the clutch? If it is related to the clutch, expect over $1k for a shop to do a clutch kit.

I am sure others more experienced will pipe in on some of these- the only one I am mostly sure about is your CV joint issue.

Well, it does rain a lot in Pittsburgh. But this wetness has now spread to the rear drivers footwell too. It hasn't rained or snowed for at least a week.

The metallic noise on left turns was taken care of by new rear rotors and pads. This left a low whir/hum that increases in left turns. I'm going to attempt to replace the left rear bearing this weekend as the right was done somewhat recently.

The clutch pedal thing is sporadic. Not concerned so much anymore.

I did get an alignment and balance done. My steering wheel continues to shake at highway speeds. Bushings?

Oh yeah, and there was a mystery spray of oil (?) on the first cat in the engine compartment. Gonna have to figure that out.

Shaky steering wheel at highway speeds could be a wonky rim / tire. Having them spun on the balancing machine at a tire shop might be a cheaper alternative to rule out, before going for a full alignment.

My mat hook broke off in my first year of ownership, but it's not like it was plugging up a hole that lead to the outside of the car. Something is either leaking in from the engine bay, or from up under the car.

Or maybe the carpet just got super soaked and with it being in the middle of winter, it hasn't had a chance to dry out. I remember an old Acura I had that always had wet carpet that wouldn't dry. took me 30 years to realize how awesome rubber winter mats are.

Finally completed the replacement of the rear bearing. Took forever! Had to torch and hammer basically every single part to be removed. Seems to have taken care of the noise I was experiencing.

I got a balancing done for $7 a wheel. There was only one rim out of true and it is in the rear. I don't even think they had to change the weights on any of the rims. Maybe I'll take it back to Pep Boys (had an alignment done there first) and request it be done again as they didn't even bother to center my steering wheel.

AND! I believe the source of my footwell water is WASHER FLUID. Probably a leak in the line to the rear sprayer. Anyone here familiar with how these lines are run? Are they between the carpet and the body?

Archived