LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy Custom Front Grill Mod

Well I decided to give this a try and see how it turned out. I am pretty pleased with the out come.

05 Legacy gt OEM Front Grill Mod

If you don't want to spend the cash on the expensive front grilles, here is my DIY to custom trim your OEM grille.

Tools I used:

Air hand saw 24 tooth blade

Dremel tool

Utility knife

Materials:

Bondo

Glaze

2 part epoxy mix from lowes 5min set time

180 grit sandpaper for bondo

220 grit for glaze

320 grit for sanding primer

1 can primer

1 can flat black

2ftx6ft sheet of mesh from lowes (its a big piece but thats all they had and it was only $8 bucks)

I use left over plastic pieces trimmed from the middle of the grille to make the bottom and side filler pieces.

First off remove the front grille from your vehicle.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/sellerscivic/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140215_174726_3041.jpg

Second do a rough trim to get most of the bulky plastic out of the way.

NOTE: Remove the subaru emblem before cutting if you plan to reuse.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/sellerscivic/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140215_174741_3681.jpg

Now you can go back and do some fine tune trimming with your tool of choice. I used a small air saw to cut way the bigger pieces and then a very sharp razor blade utility knife.

NOTE: Go slow with the air saw it will do the cutting, if you force it to much it won't work. Also after you have made a cut the plastic will have melted back together a little so use a pair of pliers and peel it off. Utility knife works great for trimming the melted burrs from cutting with the air saw.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/sellerscivic/IMG_20140215_191455_2461.jpg

Here is after all the cutting and trimming.

NOTE: Don't get to carried away with the cutting as not to remove too much plastic or it will become to fragile.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/sellerscivic/IMG_20140215_193559_4671.jpg

I will be adding some plastic material to fill the bottom hole and side holes then some bondo and sanding. Little bit of primer and paint with a mesh backing and your done. I will add pics tomorrow of the finished piece. Let me know if you would like more pics of trimmed spots.

Bodyworked and primer

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/sellerscivic/IMG_20140216_175420_8801.jpg

All Done!!!

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/sellerscivic/IMG_20140217_163520_6821.jpg

Wow:eek: that guy did an awesome job. Pretty much exactly what I am doing.

I will be painting mine with automotive paint and not textured paint but do like his.

When you use the search function, you find things like that link. It's in the stickies above under "Compilation of cheap and/or free Legacy Mods" and there are a lot of other mods in that thread as well.

Do a search before even beginning a mod and chances are you'll find someone that has done it with photos and good information that will save you a lot of time.

When you use the search function, you find things like that link. It's in the stickies above under "Compilation of cheap and/or free Legacy Mods" and there are a lot of other mods in that thread as well.

Do a search before even beginning a mod and chances are you'll find someone that has done it with photos and good information that will save you a lot of time.

Thanks kind of figured that out on my own. And I already viewed the link long before it was posted, I was being thankful to him for helpful advice. Not sure what your hinting at:cool:. I actually enjoy this site for all the help threads and people that give helpful advice. But there is always someone to ruin it.

Anyways got the bodywork and primer done today will finish paint tomorrow. And installed pic to come.

I was asking his personal experience, I came across that thread a while ago myself.

BTW smart ass remarks like "When you use the search function" is very uncalled for. :rolleyes:;)

I was asking his personal experience, I came across that thread a while ago myself.

BTW smart ass remarks like "When you use the search function" is very uncalled for. :rolleyes:;)

Take it as you will. I frankly don't care what you think is uncalled for and never will. It was not a smartass comment, it was simply a fact. There was no demeaning or derogatory language in the post, again, simply the facts. There are so many redundant posts that ask the same question over and over and over again. When the answers are simply a click away on the search button rather than posting the same thing again, and then waiting and waiting and waiting and wondering why no one responds and being pissed because everyone seems to be "arrogant" or "cocky" when they finally do respond, is because of what I just said. When you start your post with "I searched for a while and can't come up with anything that exactly matches my problem" then you receive a certain amount of respect for not wasting anyone's time with "My car stumbles at idle and is throwing a MAF code-what do I do?".

He did a great job on the grille. I sent him to a walk through that has been around for 7 years and with a simple search of "grille mod", it would have come up and POSSIBLY saved him some grief if he didn't really know what he was doing.

I, nor anyone else on this forum, have not one thing against someone posting photos of what they're doing-ESPECIALLY DIY, how it's coming, possible new ideas, and then showing the finished product. I think it's great to see everyone's interpretation of how they think it should be and I've really liked a lot of them and not liked some of them too. Constructive criticism always follows when someone does a DIY mod and if you don't believe me, read some other threads. Some of it is good, some of it is bad, some of it is funny, some of it could even be considered mean, nonetheless, it's there and it's part of being in this or any other forum community.

So you come on here with your 30-40-50 posts and then accuse everyone that's been on here for a long time of being a smartass or not caring because they don't want to answer your question for the 2000th time. Not true as everyone on this forum will help you and give you the CORRECT information as to how to including part numbers, website links, and even photos of their OWN experience with whatever you're working on (if you don't believe me, take a look at covertrussian's build thread) and even give you advice and the part numbers needed for mods.

Again, I frankly don't give a crap what you think was smartass or not, because I'm actually pretty kind in the way I posted it. There are a lot of people that wouldn't have been so restrained. If you read ANYTHING about me, you'll find that I help a LOT of people on here and in personal texting and phone calls. I help if I can because that's what we're supposed to do as a community as many others on here do too and because I generally learn something from each experience that helps in the future. It will keep the cars we are passionate alive for at least a while longer before they finally fade away.

• 6 months later...

Archived