LegacyGT.com

Transmission/Differential fluid question

1995 Subaru Legacy Outback AWD Manual

I had a quick question regarding the different types of oil available for the rear differential and transmission. Just to make sure, the transmission is connected to the front differential, or am I speaking gibberish?

I searched around google and the recommended oil is 75W-90. I was thinking about buying the Redline brand, but I wasn't sure if I should pull the trigger since there have been mixed feelings.

I was planning on buying the NS redline for the transmission, but since it is connected to the front differential(?), should I just use the regular Redline 75W-90? I was considering going to a Subaru dealership and getting the OEM oil, but didn't want to go through the hassle.

Also, I live in Arizona so it gets pretty toasty down here. Not sure if it would make a difference in the type of oil I use.

Thanks for any feedback!

• I Donated

Any 75w90 synthetic gear oil should do you just fine.

You are correct in saying the front diff is part of the transmission.

If you're wanting higher end oil, I would suggest AMSOIL....hands down its the best out there. I'm an AMSOIL dealer and I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area if you're wanting to look into it. Feel free to shoot me a message.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for the reply! I'm planning on replacing one of the CV axles (?) this weekend, drain the diff and trans fluid, and maybe fix a transmission leak from the axle seal. I'll probably end up buying some gear oil at O'Reilly's. Thanks for the offer, though!

One of my favorite bands is from mesa, I might be taking a road trip out there near phoenix to look at some places in or around scottsdale..my wife will most likely be attending the culinary school in scottsdale. It's not too far a trip from where I am now and I have some friends in

Another question. Went shopping for 75w-90, and O'Reilly's only had the limited slip versions in stock. Went to Autozone and same story. I assume the limited slip oil is for the rear differential and not the front transmission. Is this correct?

One of my favorite bands is from mesa, I might be taking a road trip out there near phoenix to look at some places in or around scottsdale..my wife will most likely be attending the culinary school in scottsdale. It's not too far a trip from where I am now and I have some friends in

scottsdale is expensive for the most part. nice place tho, i have family there. what band is your fave?

limited slip requires a limited slip differential.

standard legacies are open diff I believe. Even my LSD out of a 96 STI does not require a limited slip additive.

Motul Gear 300 would be the best bang for your buck. Amsoil might even be a step up but will definitely cost more...

I hear that its a richy rich little town, I even heard some of the locals call it snottsdale. Lol, maybe we will look closer to phoenix, I just saw normal income is 90k in scottsdale.

Authority zero is from mesa.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqi23-BBLA]Authority Zero - One More Minute (Video) Radio Edit Audio - YouTube[/ame]

I hear that its a richy rich little town, I even heard some of the locals call it snottsdale. Lol, maybe we will look closer to phoenix, I just saw normal income is 90k in scottsdale.

Authority zero is from mesa.

ah, i like that band. we usually call it snobsdale lol. its really not that bad, just inflated pricing for everything, and the club scene is full of douchebags. the term scottdale wife is real here, too. theres a reason that thedirty.com started out in scottsdale lol

Archived