LegacyGT.com

Current owners or people who drove the GT Leg - questions

I'm researching the Leg GT Lmt Sedan. I have a few concerns based on some comments around here and want some answers or opinions: (Note: please specify if MT or 5EAT) 1) I hear it doesn't feel as powerful as what is rated. 2) The power comes on in a very linear I've read, it never feels like a huge rush of power, like an abrupt surge? 3) I hear the turbo is dead silent, is that true, you never hear it at all? I guess I'm looking for a sports sedan, I'm sure aftermaket will adress these concerns - Mike

1) The Legacy is smoother and quieter than other turboed Subarus so the preception of power will be less. One owner already dynoed his GT and he's estimating it's actually making 260/270. There's a post already on this topic. 2) Fairly linear. There is a noticeable increase around 2.5K rpms, but not as nearly as abrupt as with the WRX. 3) No, you can hear it faintly just behind the glove box. Remember, the GT is a Grand Touring vehicle. It's been designed for a balance of sportiness and comfortable cruising. The linear power delivery and quietness are design aspects of this model. Ken

I agree, I drive the 2.5gt limited wagon with a/t, the power is there, it comes on smoothly but you definetily feel the boost at around 2800 rpms. I personally can't here the tubro, probably radio is loud. I thought I'd want to hear it but I now realize my child hood desires aren't meant for a car like this. The silence is golden, makes it even more impressive when you feel the turbo start in.

[quote name='Ken S']1) The Legacy is smoother and quieter than other turboed Subarus so the preception of power will be less. One owner already dynoed his GT and he's estimating it's actually making 260/270. There's a post already on this topic. 2) Fairly linear. There is a noticeable increase around 2.5K rpms, but not as nearly as abrupt as with the WRX. 3) No, you can hear it faintly just behind the glove box. Remember, the GT is a Grand Touring vehicle. It's been designed for a balance of sportiness and comfortable cruising. The linear power delivery and quietness are design aspects of this model. Ken[/quote] Totally agree with these comments. As the original poster commented/asked, "it doesn't feel as powerful as what is rated". But you'll still be passing almost everyone.

[quote name='kenzo']As the original poster commented/asked, "it doesn't feel as powerful as what is rated". But you'll still be passing almost everyone.[/quote] I had an experience of driving something that felt faster than it actually was (Audi TT 3.2), and driving something that felt like it wasn't as powerful as it is rated for ('04 Mach 1 Mustang). - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike'][quote name='kenzo']As the original poster commented/asked, "it doesn't feel as powerful as what is rated". But you'll still be passing almost everyone.[/quote] I had an experience of driving something that felt faster than it actually was (Audi TT 3.2), and driving something that felt like it wasn't as powerful as it is rated for ('04 Mach 1 Mustang). - Mike[/quote] I haven't driven one, YET, but based on the other folks here, I would be waiting for an STi version, or trying to build an STi version with mods. I want a kick-b#tt sport sedan without loosing its cool demeanor when tooling around gently in 5th gear, and something much bigger and more stylish, and more refined than the WRX STi. That should perfectly describe a forthcoming Legacy STi. Reading about all the companies that tune WRXs and STis currently, there is a latent aftermarket there, just waiting to explode for this car. I am thinking Perrin, or Cobb, or AVO. The WRX STi parts are there for the development. I think the learning curve on the GT for the tuners is going to be pretty short. :D I CAN'T WAIT! :D

[quote name='"kenzo'] Totally agree with these comments. As the original poster commented/asked, "it doesn't feel as powerful as what is rated". But you'll still be passing almost everyone.[/quote] Actually, I've benn passing everyone :D

I would be honest. I think why some people say its not as fast as they thought (including myself) is that some are not use to driving a turbo car. You have to keep this motor boiling at the 2.8K-3.0K range to feel the speed. I tried that today on a test drive and it was a noticable difference.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I came from a Mazda Miata, which felt much faster than it was. My Legacy is so smooth it's deceptive; for the first couple of weeks I'd look at my speedometer and be surprised at how much faster I was going than I'd thought. The first time I put my foot down on a freeway on-ramp wirthout downshifting I realized how fast it was. That bad boy just MOVED.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You can hear the turbo, but it is pretty well muffled. The power does not come on as forcefully as the WRX, which is a plus in my book. It also has plenty of power off boost, so you don't cruise around off boost and feel like it can't get out of it's own way- like the WRX. The XT does feel more powerful than my WRX was- it was a Stage 2 COBB- but to really confirm it via butt dyno, just look at the speedo sweep faster and faster.

If yr looking for something with KickA** power and a big turbo well looking at the GT is the wrong way to go. The GT is a slick sleeper that will suprise most regardless of off the line, mid take off, in the wet or cornering ability. I had the opportunity this year to kit up with a MY04 WRXSTi, I tossed and turned at night thinking about it and have decided to wait a while. I think this car, the GT is very much in its early stages of development both from a factory and aftermarket prospective. If yr unsure, do what a lot of others are going to do, hold off and wait for the STi version or further development of STi bits or go for the WRXSTi. I believe if this current version of the GT was aimed firmly at STi buyers, it would look a lot more agressive by having bigger wings, rims, better tyres and more depth in the front and back bars, bigger brakes etc etc etc. For a lot of ppl this car is fantastic, its no 911 GT2 or Ferrari F360 but in the same its a point to point ride most of us wont forget in a hurry and you can do it any day of the week.

Archived