LegacyGT.com

K & N drop in filter caused CEL

Mike07LGT

So I purchased a K & N drop in filter to put on my 07 Legacy GT. After about a week of running it My car threw a check engine light code of leaning out. I immediately removed the k&N Filter and put an OEM subaru air filter in. This made the car run much better and also got rid of the code. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if you are gonna add this filter to your car expect to need a protune. I have an accessport on the way and my tuner said unless I plan on getting a custom tune to keep this air filter out of my car. Just a fair warning to those that think they can just throw this filter on their car without a tune

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

The potential isses with K&N filters are well documented, but it's not a bad product. Usually the problems are user error when it comes to cleaning and re-oiling.

I ran one on the OEM tune for about 10k miles without issue. I went back to stock filter and now I run an AEM Dryflow.

Clean your MAF, it could have gotten oil on it from the filter.

Fair enough im just posting my personal experience with the filter. I returned it and got my money back. Ill just stick with oem subaru filter because my power goals are not very high. Ill clean the MAF but im gonna continue to run the factory filter. Wasnt saying its a bad product just wanted to give a heads up that its not a mod that you can just put in and expect results without a tune. Thanks for the info

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

just wanted to give a heads up that its not a mod that you can just put in and expect results without a tune.

That is an incorrect statement. As I said, I ran it without issue, and many other here do as well with many different cars, without a tune. Not sure what happened in your situation, but a blanket statement like that is not accurate. For most cars there should be enough auto correction built into the ECU learning to compensate for the little bit more air that the filter is able to flow over stock. Maybe something else is not right with your car and the filter just tipped the balance enough to throw a code. What was the code? To my knowledge there is no code for "too lean".

ok well im just going off of what my tuner said. Im not sure what code was thrown but it had to do with it leaning out. I changed the filter to be SAFE. Maybe something else is wrong but thats the ONLY thing ive changed since I bought the car with 50k miles on it. I doubt anything else is wrong with my car beings i havent changed anything else...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

As I have said before, my wagon has had a Perrin panel filter since Aug 2004, the same filter all that time. I put a K&N in my Spec B last April.

The wagon went on Cobb AP Dec 2004 when it first came out, had no issues from Aug to Dec.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
That is an incorrect statement. As I said, I ran it without issue, and many other here do as well with many different cars, without a tune. Not sure what happened in your situation, but a blanket statement like that is not accurate. For most cars there should be enough auto correction built into the ECU learning to compensate for the little bit more air that the filter is able to flow over stock. Maybe something else is not right with your car and the filter just tipped the balance enough to throw a code. What was the code? To my knowledge there is no code for "too lean".

the code was a p0171 which is system too lean...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived