LegacyGT.com

help with maintenance

Is their a maintenance sticky that I am missing. I am curious about what fluids to use in everything no so much what Subaru says but what is actually best for the car. Like tranny ATaand MT, brake, diff oil, friction mod if necessary, and just general maintenance on the fourth gen. Sorry if this is repetitive.

For MT and diff's, Subaru Extra S is the best, I bought a 5 gallon pail for $130 from the dealer.

Amsoil severgear is also good. I have used that too.

There is also a cocktail of 3qt's redline lightweight shockproof and .8qt Motul 300. and 300 inthe rear diff, If the tranny has issues.

I don't do 5eat's.

Coolant I use Prestone 50/50 mix or Peak Global, my wgaon has a mixture of both.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/ that may help you too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is their a maintenance sticky that I am missing. I am curious about what fluids to use in everything no so much what Subaru says but what is actually best for the car. Like tranny ATaand MT, brake, diff oil, friction mod if necessary, and just general maintenance on the fourth gen. Sorry if this is repetitive.

Here's my maintenance plan. Not saying this is necessarily the "right" way, just a suggestion.

Oil - Rotella T6 every 3k miles

Trans and Dif - Subaru fluid every 30k miles

Coolant - Subaru every 50k miles

Brake/Clutch - Subaru (since I don't race/autox) every 2 years

PowerSteering - Subaru or any other approved fluid every 3 years

Filter - Subaru OE, whenever its dirty

Plugs - NGK every 50k miles

Is their a friction mod for the diff

No

My subi dealer charged me $9/diff for a friction mod when I had the car serviced at 60k just after we bought it.

What did they put in there? Good wishes?

I replaced it without a friction mod at 90K and will be doing another fluid change on the diffs soon.

Thoughts?

I don't know a lot about Subaru's but I do know quite a bit about Ford's and car stuff in general. I worked for Ford for 5 years and went to that awesome auto school that is u.t.i. What I do know is there is a big difference in having friction modifier in a diff and not. So I will consult Subaru on this to make sure when I do it. I would almost suspect it would have to have it cause of the limited slip.

Archived