LegacyGT.com

Exterior door handle not engaging lock mechanism

So my rear driver passenger door has just started having an issue (not sure if the super cold weather played a part or not.) with the outside door handle. It will not engage the locking mechanism so the door cannot be opened from the outside unless I use the interior handle. Has any one had anything like this happen before?

When I use the exterior handle nothing happens but as soon as I use the interior handle I can see the mechanism moving back and forth.

I haven't had a chance to take a look yet since it's been pretty cold and I have no garage. Just seeing if anyone has had any similar issues.

My same door (rear driver side) isn't working from outside now, and I've already replaced the failing front driver door exterior handle a couple years ago. I think it's relatively common for the design to fail once you see how they attach to the door linkage.

It's possible it just came apart and didn't break, but unlikely. I paid to have it done because I didn't want to deal with the hassle last time and think I was all in for under $200 installed with paint. The handle is cheap (like $40 IIRC), and you could have it painted for 40-50 and install shouldn't be too difficult. I may be going that route with it this time.

I just replaced my front door handle because of the same issue. In my case a small plastic bracket broke off and it dropped the rod to open the door. I had to replace my whole handle and have it painted. I had my buddies shop do it so I'm sure I got a deal but all and all it cost me $85 bucks and that included the labor to check if part was broken, handle itself, paint, and install.

I should mention getting the old one out was kind of a pain and is much easier if you can break the tabs holding the bottom of the handle to the frame. It really took some prying and force to get it out, but the new one snapped in very easily.

Archived