LegacyGT.com

Need suspension help/recommendations...

BGPKR

After 135k miles the OEM struts are just about done. So within the next month I plan on replacing all four corners and need some suggestions. I'm not sure if i'm wanting to just replace them with and OEM equivalent or upgrade. I'm picking up a set of used Cobb bars front and rear and want to make sure everything works together. So here are my questions:

If I upgrade to say a KYB GR2 or AGX, will these pair well with the factory springs along with the Cobb bars or would i necessarily need to go with a spring upgrade as well? I would prefer to keep the ride height stock, and i'm unaware of any aftermarket springs that don't include a drop.

Upgrade to Bilsteins, either USDM spec or the HD's. (Looking up the HD's I can only find part numbers for the fronts) I'd also assume that if I go this route that I'd have to buys springs as well, as I'm sure the LGT springs would not work with Spec B Bilsteins. Am I correct here?

Another option that I know is popular with Impreza and WRX owners is to do Koni inserts. Is this even possible with the OEM legacy strut cartridge?

Coilovers are not an option.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AFAIK the lgt springs and SpecB springs are exactly the same.

KYB's would work perfectly with your oem springs, KYB's are considered an "oem replacement."

My recommendation would be to get Koni inserts to go with your oem lgt springs. The inserts will work with oem struts, and this would be a really comfortable, and much better performing setup to go along with your cobb sways.

I would also look into replacing the LCA rear bushing with a positive caster bushing (Whiteline, AVO, etc.), I'm sure that oem bushing is shot by 135K and is contributing slop to the suspension.

Have you got aftermarket endlinks for the cobb sways? The sway bars will reduce body roll. Stiffer springs will help to further reduce roll but any sway bar upgrade will perform better then the OEM sways - springs shouldn't effect this.

OEM springs will be fine with cobb sways.

Don't go with a heim-style joint end link, they are not intended for street use and will wear out prematurely. Get a solid style with poly bushings similar to the Kartboy links. Oem style end links like the rallitek ones are also great.

The sway bars will decrease body roll in cornering, that's all. Bump compliance, and resistance to throttle and braking forces are left up to the springs. Aftermarket sways with oem springs will give you a noticeable reduction in body roll, but rear squat under throttle and front end diving under braking will be unchanged.

The Koni's have adjustable rebound, so they will work with both your oem springs, as well as stiffer aftermarket ones.

The Koni will help control the body motion, and will reduce it to a certain extent, making it feel more 'solid', but at the end of the day rates are rates, a certain amount of force produced by braking/throttle will compress the same spring rate the same distance. The struts will help control the repeated bump/droop cycles the suspension goes through over imperfections in the road and under cornering/braking/throttle.

How many miles were on the links on the Sti and what condition were the roads you'd drive on?

The Koni's are a better option IMO because you can adjust rebound, which will make them work better with whatever spring you end up going with. The Bils will work with oem springs, and the amount of body movement I had before I threw my coil overs on confirms my suspicion that the specb/lgt springs are the same. :lol:

I have not referenced part numbers though.

Archived