LegacyGT.com

Need suspension help/recommendations...

BGPKR

I have bilstein HD's and I love them. They are a definitely a more firm ride but they handle much better. I chose to not lower my car. After this winter I am glad I made that choice.

What springs did you use? GT or Spec B?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

because most mechanics dont want/are to scared to cut open a strut to install the front konis. the mech is a coward. go somewhere else.

I always do my own mechanic work, with the exception of certain jobs I cannot do. I had asked his opinion since he works for an independent Suby garage. He didn't specify that he did the work or not just that the person had an issue.

I'm curious as to what the mechanic said to rule out konis.

He said the OEM strut housing expanded causing the insert not to fit snug, which in turn caused a lot of noise.

He said the OEM strut housing expanded causing the insert not to fit snug, which in turn caused a lot of noise.

he could not know this unless he cut them open and tried to put the koni's in. he cannot come to a conclusion just from a visual of an unopened strut. i call BS on him.

IF the OEM shock is not bent and still operating, even worn or rusty, the koni's will fit.

he could not know this unless he cut them open and tried to put the koni's in. he cannot come to a conclusion just from a visual of an unopened strut. i call BS on him.

IF the OEM shock is not bent and still operating, even worn or rusty, the koni's will fit.

Duly noted. I've already disregarded his "opinion" based on what I've read here and on NASIOC. So basically i'm still deciding between the two.

Best thing would be to find a set of front blown struts here. that way you can keep your old ones and have less downtime during the install. you'll easily find a set for under $100

I had thought about that. But i'm still trying to decide between the Koni's or Bilstein. I thinking that either choice would be a good one.

BGPKR, send me a PM if you decide to go the Koni route. I'm in the Mo'town area and trying to figure out if the Konis could be adapted to work on my Outback. I'd like to take some careful measurements of both your OEM strut and the new insert. In return for the favor, I'd be willing to give you a hand with the install.

• 1 year later...
BGPKR, send me a PM if you decide to go the Koni route. I'm in the Mo'town area and trying to figure out if the Konis could be adapted to work on my Outback. I'd like to take some careful measurements of both your OEM strut and the new insert. In return for the favor, I'd be willing to give you a hand with the install.

OBieXT, did you ever get resolution on this? Looking at the stock LGT and OB struts (online) it's not clear to me why you couldn't adapt the Koni insert to the OB strut. You would have to make up the height difference at the bottom of the stock strut but as long as you kept the same intended distance between the top of the insert body and the spring perch, I would think it would work. Then you could run a stock OB or LGT spring or an LGT lowering spring (IIRC, Koni says no more than 30mm less than stock).

^this will work on the front, but int he rear, where koni sells a full shock instead of an insert, the assembly will be shorter so the ride height will be un-even.

I have my own thoughs on how to make the rear work, and it has to do with addin a spacer below the rear lower spring perch(konis are removable and sit on a lip welded on the shock body) to get the height back.

^this will work on the front, but int he rear, where koni sells a full shock instead of an insert, the assembly will be shorter so the ride height will be un-even.

I have my own thoughs on how to make the rear work, and it has to do with addin a spacer below the rear lower spring perch(konis are removable and sit on a lip welded on the shock body) to get the height back.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds intriguing. At least by running OB struts in the front, you avoid the tight clearance to the spring perch.

Archived