LegacyGT.com

Maintanence brands/intervals?

Can we make this a sticky?? I thought Id put this to get info and replies to what is most commonly used for fluid/replacement part improvements and intervals,..Possibly make it a poll for engine oil, front diff/tranny, rear diff, spark plugs, coolant, etc,.???

Oil: Every 3k miles with oil of your choice, Synthetics used after 10k miles by some. Popular choices are Mobile 1 for synthetic, I use Pennzoil for my dino oil,..

Front diff/tranny: Some use Redline 75-90w, get the 75-90NS which has no additives (cheaper alternatives are Quaker/Pennzoil synthetics), I will use GM Synchromesh as Ive used in my DSM and liked it,...

Rear diff: Redline 75-90W,..NS not needed here,..

SparkPlugs: OEM NGK irridium replacements,...good for 60k miles according to NGKs claim, I figure I will change them yearly or as idle goes astray for daily driver,...Racers will check/change more often,...Go 1 colder range too???

Coolant: OEM replacement with OEM additive, no guesswork to be done here...You could use regular coolant, but read the manual about why its preferred to use OEM and OEM additive to prevent corrosion and add lubrication,....(anyone use Redline Waterwetter yet with OEM coolant??)

Brake pads:Your choice depending on driving habits,..Carbotech panthers ft/rear. Endless SS (more expensive though, Axxis Ultimate rears (are cheaper alternative for rear),..can cross reference with aD770 rear pads from WRX to alternate rear pads from Hawk, etc,..

Brake fluid: ATE Blue/Yellow, Motul 600

Just my post to what is most commonly used as Ive browsed thru posts and "searches", may help to look here when wanting to

Im currently at 3600 miles will change dino oil changed every 3k miles (did oil change at 500, 1000, and 3k so far), have ATE blue brake fluid, Carbotech Panther frts, Axxis Ultimate rear,

Would you like to add your input and reviews to this post?? I would find it helpful personally and maybe it will help others to instead of reading countless "search results and posts",..

thanks

Kevin

I'd add one note on the tranny fluid in the Auto's...I would stick to the genuine Subaru ATF Fluid as it has a special blend of friction modifiers specially chosen for the transmissions. There is a specific fluid formulated only for the 5EAT's, and another fluid formulated only for 4EAT's.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Does the ATE brake fluid need to be changed as often as the OEM brake fluid? In other words, can it last 15k miles of hard, but not track, driving?

Probably not as often cause that is the purpose of a higher temp fluid,..You will still need to bleed every so often if your picky about pedal feel as well,..As for me, I really didnt change my ATE, but refilled and bled every year or as needed for regular driving,..Of course, every time you go to the track and again back at home,..

• 3 weeks later...
Opie are you sure, cause the Recommended Materials PDF specifies the same Subaru Item Number for both the 5EAT and 4EAT Subaru ATF Fluid?!!

Yep, I'm sure.

5EAT Specific Transmission Fluid is P/N: SOA868V9241

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/5EAT.jpg

4EAT & Older 3EAT trannies (and all current Power Steering systems) use this fluid, P/N: SOA868V9240

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/4EAT.jpg

Both fluids have specific additives for their applications, a friction modifier is definitly in both...you can tell by their smell...

Archived