LegacyGT.com

Fuel line mod

I still don't really get it...and do you retune for this?

I don't believe you would need to retune. It simply gives the fuel pump a little breathing room as it's not always being pushed so hard. It allows a small amount of fuel to be in "reserve" so to speak in the feed line.

We used to do this on drag cars because of fuel starvation on launch, so we would put at least one and sometimes two of the largest inline fuel filters we could find in the system so it would have extra fuel available as it left the line. It completely eliminated our starvation issue at 60'. :)

so I read way too much about this late one night, so don't quote me 100% but here's the gist.

on the 08-09's there were specific load compensation tables added to later year LGT's and WRX's ROMS to compensate for the now infamous low rpm stumble.

The logic of the mod is that the longer fuel line decreases the occurrence of a pressure drop over a single injector (supposed source of the stutter) that is caused by a sort of feedback resonance effect from the pulses of the injectors opening and closing and the pulses from the fuel pump (or something like that).

Once the stutter problem is solved, you can empty out those load compensation tables because they are no longer needed.

On earlier 05-06 cars, there is no table to clear out once the stumble is "fixed" by the longer fuel line. But theoretically, the stumble should be fixed anyway.

So far the car feels good, but I fixed so many little things lately (leaks, false knock), its hard to tell exactly how much impact this is having.

it helps mitigate a pressure drop over one injector that could provide less than called for amount of gas at that one cylinder. (supposedly) won't change the overall amount of gas being delivered to the engine via your tune. Just keep you from getting less.

Anymore feedback on this? If there is a definitive result I want to give this a shot. I hate the studder issue these cars have.

Does the fuel pump electrical mod require a retune? I am on a stock tune at the moment so it wouldn't be ideal to run richer throughout the whole rev range.

look, first I would say, usually the stutter is pulled timing from a knock event.

reset your ecu and see if it goes away, if it does, its learned timing and fuel adjustments.

If a reset temporarily fixes your problem, the next thing I would do is pull some logs looking at timing (FBKC, FLKC, Total Timing, and Knock Sum)... or if you can't log, at least pull a learning view and find out what and when problems are happening.

Boost/vacuum leaks also create a sort of nothchy feel to acceleration, do a intake leak test.

If you haven't already, get off the stock fueling map. (Also add your car model, and mod stage so poor dopes like me don't have to write the above sentence every time you have a question)

Bottom line is that maybe this works, if all the above have been addressed. And honestly, it takes 5 minutes and $7 to do, so if you are really curious, do it, it's totally reversible.

As for my impression of the fuel line mod? hard to say really, feels pretty smooth, but again, I am constantly battling intake leaks that seem to cause low-load knock events, so its hard to say if it has had any impact or if the car running good is just from me having temporarily won against the leaks.

Sorry I generally lurk on here which is why I have no info. My initial plan was to get a cobb accessport and run a stage 1 tune to see if that would resolve my issue. I will do an intake leak test and ecu reset and see what comes of it. Thanks for the suggestions.

regardless, I recommend getting off the stock map. Even OTS stage 1 is a huge improvement in drivability and power. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten an open-source map to start with though.

• 2 weeks later...

So i bought $35 worth of parts:

3 feet of hose

Drive-Works Fuel filter

- Clamps

From reading the other thread, the idea of this mod is all about how to alternate the fluid dynamics that occurs between the fuel pump and injectors pulsating. With the extra 3 or so feet of hose, its adding inertia to the fuel inside the fuel lines towards the injectors and thus should help with the pressure across the two banks. At least that what I got from it.

NOW, I'm curious to know how a fuel filter in between the lines will affect the system.

I have a computer with opensource, so I can log and see any changes in my knock values and afr values.

Nothing is installed yet but I have plans too as I still need to come with an idea as to where to mount the filter. Ill problaby do the 3 feet without filter first, see how the car adjusts to it, then split the lines with the filter added later.

This is what I'll use. It's just a bit small than an 8 ounce cup so to speak:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/47cAAMXQlgtRoBFd/$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMjfBRoBFcjh2w~~60_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Nice filter, I used the one posted earlier in the thread, but cut down the three feet of hose to about 1 ft extra. I didn't like having that huge coil of fuel line.

Only had the filter on the car for a few days before I went to conservative first OS basemap so hard to say on the overall effect.

Car did seem to act a little happier with the filter.

I really like the shape of that fuel filter. Here's my setup.

1465751744_photo(23).JPG.01ef4e58790ed69235d5a99c3b130638.JPG

Nice filter, I used the one posted earlier in the thread, but cut down the three feet of hose to about 1 ft extra. I didn't like having that huge coil of fuel line.

Only had the filter on the car for a few days before I went to conservative first OS basemap so hard to say on the overall effect.

Car did seem to act a little happier with the filter.

I really like the shape of that fuel filter. Here's my setup.

I'm doing the same filter as soon as I get a chance so busy I don't like the long hose ether the filter is supposed to act like some of that long hose anyway so it doesn't need to be that long when using a filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed my 3 foot hose.

Now I'm working on a bracket that'll hold the filter and place it in a location where it won't interfere with my fmic pipes. Thinking either the middle firewall area or place it where my battery was to cut down on the fuel line. ( right now, my coolant desk or tank is there)

Archived