LegacyGT.com

Swap to turbo EJ

I'm looking into swapping a turbo ej engine to a 1998 legacy outback. The car is an automatic. The EJ20G currently looks like the most affordable choice. I am planning on manual swapping the car as well.

I don't have very much experience with wiring so I guess I'm just trying to find the best engine/ecu combo that won't be overly expensive and won't be extremely difficult to wire.

Here is my list of things I need.

1. Engine

2. Trans

3. Rear diff

4. Driveshaft

5. Ecu/Ecm

6. Wrx Subframe

I have doubts that the 205 WRX ecu can run the 20G heads but I don't know for sure. JDM engines have some wiring differences and are tuned differently, but the 205 ecu is tuneable so maybe you could get it to work. A tune will be a must! You would need the WRX crank sensor gear at the very least, and there are probably some other sensor differences. A 22T ecu can run the 20g but isn't tuneable. There is a guy on bbs (search robtune) that can chip the 20g ecu for different exhaust, fueling, etc., but isn't cheap ($300 or so for the chip not including 20g ecu) and you'd need a Jecs MAF, etc.

The wrx crossmember won't be a direct swap as you will need some other bits to get it to work. A first gen turbo legacy crossmember is a direct swap though.

I'd definitely replace the HGs on the JDM 20g before dropping it in as preventative measure.

Cheapest and easiest option may be to buy rolled wrx and swap everything over, but in my experience that is hard to find out here.

Edit: you didn't mention a turbo back exhaust so you'll need that too. Good luck doing it on the cheap. I'm a few years and quite a bit of $$$$ into my swap and all I have so far is a huge pile of parts, lol.

I still don't think the wrx ecu will work. OK, maybe there is some way to get it to work but it will probably be really tricky. The 20G wiring is basically the same as a first gen legacy but instead of a coil pack on top of the intake mani it has individual coil packs to each spark plug. Either way, running a 20G/22T or 205 ecu is going to require a harness merge.

It is possible to drop a 20G in a first gen legacy with only a few wiring tweaks and run it with a 22T ecu. The 205 WRX wiring is way different than the legacy wiring so you would have to do a lot of research to find out if it is possible. Head over to bbslegacycentral and see if anyone knows the answer for sure.

If you really want to use the 20G you would need the complete wiring harness from a first gen legacy which would be easy enough to find if you have a junkyard nearby and some time. Then run a 22T or 20G ecu. Or your other option is to go standalone em. Megasquirt is a less expensive way to go but I have absolutely no experience with standalones.

You could always stick a turbo (VF11/12 or TD04) and tmic on your existing ej22 and run 5-6 psi. Your stock ecu could handle it. You'd still need a complete turboback exhaust and a notched crossmember. I can't say how reliable it would be but plenty of people have done it sucessfully and documented the process.

Phase 2 WRX ECU will NOT run any Phase 1 engine.

But you CAN run that 20G off of your own EJ25D ECU, provided you had a piggyback of some kind.

What piggyback system are you thinking of? That would be badass! :)

Just to clarify a wrx ecu can run a phase 1 shortblock just fine provided it has the proper sensors/heads. ;) I know you meant a complete phase 1 longblock. Wrx ecu is pretty adaptable though. It can run D25 heads with some mods. Devil is in the details. :icon_twis

What piggyback system are you thinking of? That would be badass! :)

Just to clarify a wrx ecu can run a phase 1 shortblock just fine provided it has the proper sensors/heads. ;) I know you meant a complete phase 1 longblock. Wrx ecu is pretty adaptable though. It can run D25 heads with some mods. Devil is in the details. :icon_twis

A GReddy Emanage could easily serve as a decent piggyback to the 25D ECU AND you'd also have the starting maps to the JDM turbo EJ20s, since they use the exact cam/crank triggers!

Enlighten me on the 205 ECU running a Phase 1 engine. This would make things SUPER EASY for us!

I still don't think the wrx ecu will work. OK, maybe there is some way to get it to work but it will probably be really tricky. The 20G wiring is basically the same as a first gen legacy but instead of a coil pack on top of the intake mani it has individual coil packs to each spark plug. Either way, running a 20G/22T or 205 ecu is going to require a harness merge.

It is possible to drop a 20G in a first gen legacy with only a few wiring tweaks and run it with a 22T ecu. The 205 WRX wiring is way different than the legacy wiring so you would have to do a lot of research to find out if it is possible. Head over to bbslegacycentral and see if anyone knows the answer for sure.

If you really want to use the 20G you would need the complete wiring harness from a first gen legacy which would be easy enough to find if you have a junkyard nearby and some time. Then run a 22T or 20G ecu. Or your other option is to go standalone em. Megasquirt is a less expensive way to go but I have absolutely no experience with standalones.

You could always stick a turbo (VF11/12 or TD04) and tmic on your existing ej22 and run 5-6 psi. Your stock ecu could handle it. You'd still need a complete turboback exhaust and a notched crossmember. I can't say how reliable it would be but plenty of people have done it sucessfully and documented the process.

So I should try and find the wiring out of a first gen legacy turbo and use that with the 20G? I guess I'm confused on what exactly your suggesting.

I really want to swap the engine. The current engine in it is getting old and doesn't run very well.

Phase 2 WRX ECU will NOT run any Phase 1 engine.

But you CAN run that 20G off of your own EJ25D ECU, provided you had a piggyback of some kind.

Would this be difficult to pull off?

A GReddy Emanage could easily serve as a decent piggyback to the 25D ECU AND you'd also have the starting maps to the JDM turbo EJ20s, since they use the exact cam/crank triggers!

Enlighten me on the 205 ECU running a Phase 1 engine. This would make things SUPER EASY for us!

So find a jdm turbo ej20 swap it in then just use the piggyback and the stock ecu and boom done? It can't be that simple, It never is :spin:

In my experiences, "tight budget" and "swap" rarely go off without a hitch. If you do the majority of the work yourself and aren't on some kind of strict timetable, you could come across some good deals on parts.

I will be doing the majority of the work myself and I have plenty of time to find good deals on parts!

My suggestion is one way to get it to work. Pull a wiring harness out of a first gen, merge it with your harness, seap the polarity of a few sensors, switch to a first gen coilpack, and run a 22t or 20g ecu. It would work but maybe a piggyback would be easier, I dunno.

My other suggestion was to boost your exist

Archived