LegacyGT.com

Broken Center Diff

At the end of last week I started to hear a loud clunking noise that almost sounded like someone hitting a metal pipe with another piece of metal. It rang. The noise would happen when I was backing out of my driveway, parking lot, etc while hitting the gas. If I had the same steering input but was coasting I would get no sound.

So I took it to my mechanic the drive shaft, axles, etc looked fine. He took of the drive shaft and started to take apart the rear section of the transmission. Sorry I don't know what this is called. He called me tonight and said that there is damage (see pics) to the center diff assembly.

So my question is what are my options? Rebuild or new tranny? Do I have any other options? What's the cheapest way to go?

And about the car. 2005, 83K, exhaust, tuned, 5EAT.

I did a bunch of search and mostly came up with torque bind problems. Didnt see any like this.

Thanks in advance.

446283666_photo1.thumb.JPG.4b8848ed9a83218a16016dd6db87d543.JPG

1381616164_photo3.thumb.JPG.c7fc3fc94aceff4614de6d2b5082ef39.JPG

1913997120_photo2.thumb.JPG.16210d08934d89196ea02d302f6e43bd.JPG

340983322_photo4.thumb.JPG.316415075b3a70a852e41e1238100b3e.JPG

What is the cost of a rebuild ?

Contact the parts guy's at Suburban Subaru in Manchester CT.

Brett, bwelles@krausecars.com

Karl, kmiles@krausecars.com

Will, wphillips@krausecars.com

They have helped me out with great pricing.

I also have a tranny buudy that can rebuild yours if you need his services, he's in Windsor Locks CT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

$900 for a working tranny I guess is resonable, I'm not sure.

But you still need to go get it, and have it put in.

I think your diff can be rebuilt and then installed back on the tranny. The tranny is still in the car, correct ?

I'm not up on 5eats, I know 5mt you can fix the diff with the tranny in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

$900 for a working tranny I guess is resonable, I'm not sure.

But you still need to go get it, and have it put in.

I think your diff can be rebuilt and then installed back on the tranny. The tranny is still in the car, correct ?

I'm not up on 5eats, I know 5mt you can fix the diff with the tranny in the car.

Yes the transmission is still in the car.

So they can push the car back outside while you have the diff fixed then put it back in.

You'll need to loo thru the "opposedforces" site from the link in the sticky at the top of the very first forum here. It will have a break down of the parts in the center diff. Make sure you have the correct year and model.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/subaru-oem-parts-catalog-online-exploded-views-opposed-forces-130411.html

Do you have the service manuals? http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Also in the General Chat forum back a few pages there is a thread, show me your vacation pix, that has a link to all the manauls.

My apology, I'm late to the party.

Your point of failure is the most common for the 5eat (stripped center diff input shaft gear teeth).

You can buy the replacement parts new, usually for around $1000. The vacation pix are very clear about exactly how to replace everything.

If you happen to have the time and resources, you can get a used, worn & shot 5eat for a couple hundred dollars, and pull whatever you need off of it.

Where are you now with the repair?

Lastly, how did you do this to the center diff?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived