LegacyGT.com

SECOND turbo failure?

Hey guys... just sitting here wondering how the hell I blew my turbo again... I suddenly heard a screech during a WOT pull so I limped it home and pulled the downpipe, sure enough there's major shaft play in my less than a year old 16G. Now the car does consume oil and could have been down as much as 3/4 qt. I will usually let it drink around 1/2qt before I top it up. This is the only thing I can think of. Is that enough to blow a turbo? One of the vendors who worked with me on the car thinks it may be bad OCVs. Any ideas? Thanks.

First blown turbo was stock on a stock tune. I believe the PO also had to have the turbo replaced, I'll have to look for the records. In any event it's enough for me to want to get out of this car.

Probably left the banjo filter in the oil feed line in and clogged. Keeps starving the turbo. Most common problem on these cars.

Banjo filter had been removed since I purchased the car and I went to an IP&T filtered line once I swapped to the 16G. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

What's that comment in my sig, something keep the oil topped off, Oh yea, NEVER let it get low. Something like that. Oh thats it, these cars use it.

Sorry to hear that happened again.

As I posted earlier today, my vf52 has 40,000 miles without a filter in the oil feed line. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

How many miles on your turbo ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What's that comment in my sig, something keep the oil topped off, Oh yea, NEVER let it get low. Something like that. Oh thats it, these cars use it.

Sorry to hear that happened again.

As I posted earlier today, my vf52 has 40,000 miles without a filter in the oil feed line. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

How many miles on your turbo ?

That's kind of what I was asking about, whether being 1/2 quart low is enough to cause this kind of damage. if you can point to evidence other than your sig that would be great. Less than 15k on the turbo.

No evidence other then what I've learned from reading post like yours. Sorry.

When I had the heads rebuilt, I remember asking how the OCV's looked and asked them to make sure they were clean.

I seem to recall they even asked me before putting the front banjo bolt in if I wanted the filter removed. To which I replied, absolutly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yes Max it seems universal that when a turbo is blown, the owner has also noticed low oil at one point or another. It is my mistake for thinking that there's an amount I could "get away with".

tdelker I have not dropped the oil pan to look for contamination, that surely could be a factor. I had caught my turbo failure very early. Maybe the PO did not and the dealership that did the turbo replacement neglected to check the oil pan also.

What kinda 16G was it? A reputable brand?

Also why do people think the OCVs control oil to the turbo? I dont see how they could as the banjo bolt that feeds the OCVs and turbo is the same line.... Its a T, one side goes from banjo to OCV and other side goes to turbo. I saw Infamous also talking about how the OCVs do not effect the oil to turbo.

No, 1/2 qt low isn't going to blow the turbo. Bad pickup tube? Metal still in engine contaminating oil when oil filter goes in to bypass mode?

One that low will not cause a problem. But time and time again at that low IMO could.

I keep both my cars full or a little over. If I'm going on a long drive, IMO a little over full is better then under full.

Oh, I agree, NEVER let it go low. You should be checking it at every fill up. As soon as mine gets to the mid point I add a 1/2 quart. Not worth worrying over. But I also doubt it would cause the turbo to blow so soon with a good supply going to it. But maybe with an aftermarket oil supply line, the fill line might just not be a good indicator anymore. You might need more oil capacity.

I have had my oil below the low mark several times and never had an issue, still have the original turbo (130k miles).

In most causes, something is clogging the oil line or filter. The OCV doesn't supply oil to the turbo, the oil feed is on the backside of the head where the banjo bolt is. The oil feed from the head supplies oil to the OCV and Turbo (picture). If you get the P0011 code it's either from a sticking OCV or a clogged oil line, and if it's a clogged line, this is usually when people have issues with their turbos. That's why when people say when you get the P0011 code that's a sign of a damaged turbo, but not all cases, it could just be a bad OCV.

I would suggest pulling the oil line off and inspect it along with the banjo bolts.

ocv.jpg.ac755e5e2790699fa6abe772e64f82f2.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

When I did my BNR install a few weeks ago I was forced to fabricate my own oil line system because the infamous kit seems to be on eternal back order.

I basically ran a line off the bolt on the back of the head into a filter, into a T, one leg goes to the turbo the other leg goes to feed my OCV on that head. I HAD TO DRILL OUT THE BANJO BOLT ON THE TURBO BECAUSE THE FACTORY ONE IS RESTRICTD.

Bottom line the smallest restriction on my oil feed path is .125 "oil filter inlet" and that was ok'd by BNR.

When you take it all apart again, if you are using the hard line pictured above then there is a restriction built into that right there at the head, and another restriction built into the banjo bolt on the turbo. Either will starve your turbo.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

When you take it all apart again, if you are using the hard line pictured above then there is a restriction built into that right there at the head, and another restriction built into the banjo bolt on the turbo. Either will starve your turbo.

You're saying I should remove the filter on the hard line coming off the head? I've never heard of that before.

And BTW guys... know what makes you want to keep your Legacy?... driving it back to back with the Civic you bought to replace it.

Archived