LegacyGT.com

Blown turbo (P0011). Dealership i bought it from didn't remove Screens. What do?

Hello. I own a 2005 Outback XT. I was driving back to school in Michigan and suddenly check engine light came on and grinding noise.

I am currently in Ohio and the Subaru dealership here just replaced the turbo, and they told me that the turbo banjo bolt screen filter was still in place.

I bring this up because when i purchased the car from the Subaru dealer in Virginia, they had recently replaced the turbo and Subaru recommends that you removed the screen filter... well... they didn't. So i'm gonna be late for classes, and i'm being charged $1,700.

Do you guys think i have a case for the other Subaru dealership to pay for the repairs?

Yes, but you may want to call SOA and file a complaint. I gather you have all the paper work from the first dealership ?

Depending on how bad the old went, there are other things that should be done. read the sticky in these forums.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I bring this up because when i purchased the car from the Subaru dealer in Virginia, they had recently replaced the turbo and Subaru recommends that you removed the screen filter... well... they didn't.

My understanding is that they are required to replace the union screw/banjo bolt filter, but they are required to have one installed. Not having that filter means that instead of your turbo failing from oil starvation, your turbo will fail from debris in the oil. When my turbo was replaced by the Volvo dealership I bought my car from (turbo bearing failed during my test drive), they put in a new bolt... at least, their service manager said that Subaru gave them a new banjo bolt, and that they were required to install it.

If the dealership did not replace the screen, then consider talking to them about that.

I know the dealership has to do what Subaru say's. You have to follow there lead to get it covered.

For my DD, I have both filters removed. My vf52 has over 40,000 miles with out the turbo filter.

Dirty oil is better than no oil. Your oil filter should filter all the oil for any particles large enough to damage the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know the dealership has to do what Subaru say's. You have to follow there lead to get it covered.

For my DD, I have both filters removed. My vf52 has over 40,000 miles with out the turbo filter.

Dirty oil is better than no oil. Your oil filter should filter all the oil for any particles large enough to damage the turbo.

Exactly, dirty oil is better then no oil. Change your oil and filter often and you will be fine. In Nissan SR20 world we don't even suggest going over 2500miles between oil changes on a turbo car. I've never worked on/owned a turbo car that had these stupid screens.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived