LegacyGT.com

Went to the Dark Side. Got a camaro ss

Well I decided I want to try something new and havent had a v8 muscle car so I picked up a 2001 camaro SS 6 speed.

I do miss the versatility of the outback but im not gonna lie I do have fun in the camaro. It actually handles pretty good and just intake and full exhaust its as fast as my 20g was from a roll. Heres a pic of when I got it and how it sits now.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/fibtlcivic/oem_zps991cbdd7.jpg

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/fibtlcivic/photo2_zps2a244a55.jpg

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt307/fibtlcivic/EngineShot_zpsfc7341eb.jpg

If you cant beat 'em, join 'em!

I can really only remember losing to 2 fbodys and they were rolls. Digs I didnt lose. I can say different from the seat of the camaro tho as Ive beat a couple subaru's from digs. Of course then driver mod comes into play. Its a change of pace though for me because all Ive ever owned were imports. I wont lie its nice being at 1550rpm at 70mph

Did a stock time of 13.79@104 (Questionable on the timeslip tho as I was in 3rd and it only goes to ~102mph and wasnt on the limiter)

Added longtubes and catted ypipe with a screwed up clutch and did a 13.3@107.

It is different at the track because with the outback my foot was welded to the floor once the first yellow went up and didnt leave the floor till I was across the finish line.

Well yeah ls3 v8! I had a fox body 5.0 that was a monster. Almost bought an 01 ss a couple years ago. Bought an rx8 instead. What a mistake.

98-02 f-bodys were ls1s, ls3 wasn't around yet.

Awesome car, I really miss my f-bodys. Never had a camaro but if I did it would be a 01/02 ss. Take those plastic covers off the engine :lol: it's not a corvette silly.

Nice choice on the wheels, and nice looking car.

However, please do the entire galaxy a favor and replace that lower grill chrome :lol:

I painted it black and it took me 4 months to do it lol. Along with black housing headlights, blinkers, and the lt1 style tail lights.

98-02 f-bodys were ls1s, ls3 wasn't around yet.

Awesome car, I really miss my f-bodys. Never had a camaro but if I did it would be a 01/02 ss. Take those plastic covers off the engine :lol: it's not a corvette silly.

I put my friends corvette engine cover on my subaru so i could say i was ls1 swaped and people actually believed me it was hilarious. Even though at that time my car sounded more like a evo with my equal lengths. It was a sign to get this i guess. Looks cleaner with them on though.

I put my friends corvette engine cover on my subaru so i could say i was ls1 swaped and people actually believed me it was hilarious. Even though at that time my car sounded more like a evo with my equal lengths. It was a sign to get this i guess. Looks cleaner with them on though.

I fooled a group of kids at a burger king into thinking a ford ranger intake manifold was actually a supercharger and it was a "ford lightning ranger". There are a lot of gullible people

I like being able to see the coil packs but that is just me. They sell them with Camaro written on them as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you modified the suspension at all yet? If you are looking for a good stance with rather good handling, I will suggest Sam Strano's lowering springs and an adjustable shock set. My z28 has strano/kyb agx with 8-way valves. If you plan to lower it, get some rear lower control arm brackets unless you like wheelhop. Also, If you want to keep that rear trans mount from ripping to pieces, get a torque arm relocation setup. They are pretty fun cars. Hell I think I pulled an opposite of you, I wanted to try a turbo car. :lol:

Sorry but this photo is huge, I am not going to embed it.

http://www.photomyevents.com/Cars/AutoX/One-Last-Go-zMax/i-nzcBHnt/0/O/DSC_0434.jpg

Have you modified the suspension at all yet? If you are looking for a good stance with rather good handling, I will suggest Sam Strano's lowering springs and an adjustable shock set. My z28 has strano/kyb agx with 8-way valves. If you plan to lower it, get some rear lower control arm brackets unless you like wheelhop. Also, If you want to keep that rear trans mount from ripping to pieces, get a torque arm relocation setup. They are pretty fun cars. Hell I think I pulled an opposite of you, I wanted to try a turbo car. :lol:

Sorry but this photo is huge, I am not going to embed it.

http://www.photomyevents.com/Cars/AutoX/One-Last-Go-zMax/i-nzcBHnt/0/O/DSC_0434.jpg

I think those suspension mods are a death wish for the 10 bolt :lol:

I have strano springs + konis, and I wouldn't want to daily drive the car ad low as it sits.

Nice switch! Have always been a fan (and owner) and worked at a FBody speedshop ... they're fun cars with stout engines if you can look past the shoddy build quality, lol.

When it was time for me to get back in the game, I traded my '11 Leggy on a 2010 2SS manual ... much better build quality and ride than the 4th gens.

On my T/A, I had ground control coil-overs with strano sway bars and Koni's ... loved the adjustability it gave me!

Nice ride always been a GM guy at heart and I like that series before the reintroduced back in 2009. Its crazy how easy that platform can make power throw on some kooks with your head/cam work and youll unlock a few more ponies. I always love the sounds of the full header magnaflow systems on GM cars

• 3 months later...

Well this thing is still kicking. 174000 miles on it. Its full bolt on cam now made 428whp/391wtq. It was funny though because as it was getting tuned the tuner kept looking at my odometer and couldnt believe it had 174k miles. Got an adjustable torque arm, panhard bar, and lca's so no more wheel hop. And just to see how long itd last did 4.10s in the 10 bolt with m/t et streets. Lasted 4 track visits with some 6000+ launches.

Did a 12.40@111 bolt ons and a 11.91@119 with the cam. Only did a 1.79 60' ended up breaking my differential on the second to last run and kept going.

Archived