LegacyGT.com

Advice needed

My wife has an 07 2.5i wagon with an auto box. It has started leaving decent sized patches of , what I think is, transmission fluid on the drive on very cold days. The car just had its engine out for a head gasket replacement. Ant ideas why or what would cause this to happen? We aren't very mechanically minded and the garage that did the work is over 100kms away. Also I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Could be gear oil from the differential or ATF from the power steering.

Smell it. Gear oil and ATF are distinctly different smells.

Also clean up under the car as much as you can to see where it's comming from.

Be safe under the car and use jack stands for insurance.

I just found some gear oil starting to seep under my front Diff. Probably need to replace the axl seals to fix mine.

ATF fluid is red, differential fluid is clear/yellow, engine oil is black.

An easy way would be to place a white cardboard under the car for a while, then inspect the color.

But check the driveshaft boots as well - it may be that one of them needs to be replaced (probably the right inner one).

453747.png

The fluid is red and is coming from just behind the front wheels, closer to the drivers side. It only seems to do it when the temp is below -20C. Are these problems normally expensive to fit as we just spent over $4000 fixing other things on it? Thanks for your help guys

^^^This. Did it have the leak before you had the engine removed for the head gasket work? If it did not leak, then I would go right back to the people that did the engine work as they most likely did the damage. If you don't trust them, I would at least confront them for a bit of a refund to help with paying someone else to change the seal. If you're going to do one side, best, especially with the engine having been out and the strain put on both axles, to change both sides.

^^^This. Did it have the leak before you had the engine removed for the head gasket work? If it did not leak, then I would go right back to the people that did the engine work as they most likely did the damage. If you don't trust them, I would at least confront them for a bit of a refund to help with paying someone else to change the seal. If you're going to do one side, best, especially with the engine having been out and the strain put on both axles, to change both sides.

B.t.w. - if it's ATF fluid, then it's not the axles since then it would be diff fluid.

Unless someone for some reason did fill ATF fluid in the differential by mistake.

I think it's a good idea to check every detail around the gearbox in a safe environment to see what may be leaking before taking actions that may be unnecessary.

453747.png

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to take it to a local garage, that has come recommended by a friend, and have it checked over to see what's happening. You all, clearly, know a lot more about these cars than I do. I'll post the diagnosis when it comes in. Thanks again

• 2 months later...
Hello everyone. Finally found the problem and had it fixed. The transmission sump gasket had gone so it was replaced This seems to have fixed the issue for the time being. Hopefully nothing comes up with this car again. Thanks to all of you for your advice and help with this. I'll be sure to come back to the forum if I need any more. Cheers

Archived