LegacyGT.com

Help:Fluid leak around Turbo & Intercooler

So I've been wracking my brain on this one for a while, and now that it's getting worse, I'm really eager to find a solution. As such, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I have an '05 LGT MT with 250KKm (155K miles) on it. I've been running a cattless UP & DP with a standard COBB stg II map, for well over 100k miles now. Most maintenance done myself, and all as recomended (via SOA maintenance sched.). Running conventional GTX oil with Purolator filters.

Recently, I finally wrapped my cattless DP, because I was getting sick of replacing my front axles due to the premature boot damage from the heat off my DP. No, I didn't put in a heat sheild (besides modding the OEM) when I put my DP in. Since the wrap, I was noticing an odor coming into the cabin sometimes. At first, I wrote that off to just being the wrap "burning in". Then, I noticed that the odor was getting worse. So I investigated further.

Right off the bat, I noticed an oily residue on parts around the engine side of the turbo. I also noticed that the coolant, was a little darker and murkier than I would like to see (NO sludge, and NO milkshake like look). Finally, I've also felt that I've been burning a little more oil than usual (can't back that up, but it is just one of those things that you "think").

I've changed the oil banjo bolts on the turbo, and did a coolant "flush" (as per SOA guidlines) about 1 year back. Since I've never actually done a true "flush", I figured that I would dump ALL the coolant from both the engine AND rad, flush it (to make sure ALL sludge has been removed), and monitor any changes. Also, even though I changed the turbo oil banjo bolts not too long ago, I'd just go ahead and put new ones in again. That's when I noticed that there was a larger amount of the oily residue, on the coolant (or water) line banjo bolt to the turbo. So I have ordered all bolts and lines for the turbo (pretty cheap anyway).

Still, it was bugging me. So I removed the OEM intercooler, and looked around. I noticed that the turbo flange that the intercooler connects to, had some residue and indentations (at the bolt holes), and I noticed that the underside of the intercooler, on the turbo side, had an oily (silver coloured) residue on the edges. I lightly lapped the turbo flange, cleaned all rubber gaskets, cleaned as much of the residue as I could (off of everything), and re-tightened all bolts/connections.

After driving around for a few hours, I opened up the hood, and had a look around. The only thing that I noticed, was that the silvery residue, was re-appearing on the underside (turbo side) of the intercooler. Everything else, was as clean as I left it.

Ive attached a couple pictures, of the fluid I found on the coolant bolt of the turbo, the turbo flange (from drivers side and from passenger side), and the underside of the intercooler (showing the silvery oil residue near the flange to the turbo).

Any ideas as to what the heck is going on here?

1975861833_IMG_1685(Large).thumb.JPG.822d0bf233d360ed74ab7ff45565fdaf.JPG

261199120_IMG_1690(Large).thumb.JPG.d864b01b39efb5bf470bdc58cf19e778.JPG

1452620605_IMG_1693(Large).thumb.JPG.1729b6c95d3b6f233162217f9a907be6.JPG

1664820845_IMG_1694(Large).thumb.JPG.2937c516ec3771bc1ef26e31bfa9d24a.JPG

• Moderators

Would like to see more pics, but it looks that your TMIC is starting to leak at the turbo side there. Other things may also be at play here, but I'm fairly certain that's *one* of the issues.

Can you post up a good picture of the "front" (vertical) seam where the TMIC attaches to the turbo. Would like to see the condition of the aluminum tabs there. The ones on the top definitely look like they are opening up.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

TMIC looks just like stocker I just replaced.

You may be able to save it with a bullet proof kit. I screwed around too much and broke the bottom end cap tabs so now pretty much a paper weight.

Also on picture 2 the water jacket connection looks wet. Is that oil or coolant?

If you try to repair that TMIC I suggest using a ratchet strap (protecting the core with some cardboard) to pull the end cap in before messing with the tabs. You need to release the tension before trying to rebend the tabls. They are weak now. Bending them more will make them weaker. Get a BMB BP kit on it and you should be golden for a while.

I was reading about the bullet proof kit, actually looks pretty good and makes a lot of sense. Before I go diving into buying parts though, I want to cover all my basis, in case this is just the tip of the iceburg! (hope not!!)

The water jacket connection being wet, is one of the things I'm trying to figure out. It's hard to say if it was leaking there, or if something was dripping/making its way to that connection. I did order all banjo's and the water connection, as they are pretty cheap anyway.

I had a quick chance to snap a couple more pics, but it was still cold, so I didn't take the TMIC off. I hope these will show what you wanted to see BarManBean.

At the same time that I took the new pics, I started to notice the exhaust like burning odor coming in the cabin again. While taking the new pics, I actually witnessed the exhaust/fumes/smoke (which is the exact smell), coming from the Turbo side area. Sadly though, there was a bit of a breeze, so I could not isolate exactly where it was coming from, and because of the frigid temps and bulky clothing, I couldn't stick my hand around that burning hot area to see if I could feel it blowing out, not without likely burning the crap out of my jacket anyway.

This led me to a couple of other possibilities for the exhaust & odor. It may be a totally seperate issue to the residue I'm seeing as well. My first thought was that possibly the UP and/or DP gaskets are done or those connections have loosened up slightly over the last few years. The other thought was that it could be moisture buildup, as I noticed that it's most frequent when cold, and after the car has been sitting for a while. I also noticed that although I have detected the odor when the car is warm, it is not often.

Here are the pics. Let me know what you think.

1943951898_DSC_0256(Large).thumb.JPG.ca937e3beb723be639360ffe9fdb10cf.JPG

265823038_DSC_0257(Large).thumb.JPG.76832140c20cbe0017598950a534b4c5.JPG

• Moderators
There may be other problems as well, but that intercooler is failing. You can replace it with another stock unit, bullet proof what you have, or replace with something aftermarket--but you'll need to address it at some point or another.

Kinda what I was expecting. So my question now is: I do see the obvious improvment with using the bullet proof mod, and I wish that I had come accross that much earlier on (then I might not be in the situation that I am), but if I bullet proof it at this point, does the fact that the TMIC is still failing exist, or will that fix the problem?

I would obviously rather just bullet proof it, and would likely do that as well, if I replace the TMIC. However if I am still going to be faced with having to replace the TMIC, then I would rather focus on getting that done first, then bullet proof. Make sense?

let me know what you think?

• Moderators
A BP kit should fix your intercooler. As mentioned previously you'll want to be a bit careful when pulling that end tank back into place (squeeze things together evenly, go nice and slow, etc.), but you should be able to get things back together and install the kit just fine. Several others have installed kits on similar looking TMICs (or worse) with success.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

I just put my order in for the Bullet Proof kit.

Thanks for the help bro!

As to the other things that are going wrong, I'll post an update once I check my turbo up/dp gaskets, tighten the fittings, and replace all banjos and hose connections.

• Moderators
That's what I was hoping to hear.

I just put my order in for the Bullet Proof kit.

Thanks for the help bro!

As to the other things that are going wrong, I'll post an update once I check my turbo up/dp gaskets, tighten the fittings, and replace all banjos and hose connections.

Got it, and just sent you some information on the kit as well. It should go out in the mail tomorrow.

If your going through it back out by tye wraping as many vacuum connections as possible... Some need it more than others.

To go the extra mile I just picked up one of turkeylords T and plan on placing it on a new hose assembly plus tye wrap it.

Little by little replacing all the vacuum lines and on my second stock intake.

Yeah, after poking around some more, I think i am going to start replacing my hoses and lines over the next while. Most are looking in pretty bad shape.

I'm also thinking that it's almost time that I do something about my exhaust headers heat sheilds. I've been watching them for a while now, and the corrosion is now starting to break at all the seams. Anyone know where I can source replacement heat sheilds?

I also had a break in the cold, garbage weather, and lifted the front end to get a better look underneith, to see if I can find the other source of the leak that is causing the burning odor in the cabin (at times)....I beleive that I've found it. Looks like my valve cover (passenger side) is leaking slightly and dripping onto my UP. I've attached pictures. Since I've only noticed a very slight increase in my average oil loss between changes, and it's not enough to make its way to the underside flaring (thus nothing on the driveway yet), I'm thinking that I am going to just keep a close eye on it and try to hold off until warmer weather or when I do my plugs again.

I'm thinking that since it only seems to happen during very cold starts, then goes away, that the gasket is leaking a little bit until the engine warms up. At which point the gasket warms up, swells, and stops the leaking. The drivers side shows no indication at all of any signs of leaking at any time, so I am assuming that with the added heat soaking from the UP (catt-less), it's causing pre-mature failure of the gasket. Similar reason to why it took 2 passenger side half-axle replacements (CV boot failure), before I went "duh!" and finally wrapped my DP.

612229946_IMG_0013(Large).thumb.JPG.dca49fd725c4993d4bebfc89b47269d7.JPG

221656417_IMG_0014(Large).thumb.JPG.85c771e6d18aac028ad86ce66b7b47b6.JPG

2061896356_IMG_0016(Large).thumb.JPG.a021c1a671870a6169b2bd0b7c132454.JPG

Those were taken from the passenger side wheel well. These were the best that I got, because I just stuck my phone up in the space and started snapping pics, hoping that at least one of them would turn out well. LOL

And yes....my baby is one giant salt lick, for the majority of the winter!

Archived