LegacyGT.com

Did I Get Planet Subascrewed? - Fuel Lines

supergrobo82

Background: I have an '08 LGT with 95K on it. I had the shortblock replaced last March (which was covered by SOA) after oil starvation to the turbo (They claim they don't know how it happened and the banjo bolt issue is "an internet myth"). The dealership/SOA gave a one year warranty on the replacement motor

Recently I was getting a fuel smell coming through the vents on the cabin, especially when at a stop or pulling away from one. So I brought it to Planet Subaru since I thought it might be motor related since my issue in March.

Planet said my fuel lines were leaking and had to be replaced and they had to do them all because they come in a kit. I asked if this was covered by the warranty and if they replaced them when they put the new motor in and they said no on both.

So after it was all said and done I paid about $1,200 for new fuel lines (about $650 in pars and $500 in labor). Looking online afterwards, it looks like you can buy the parts separate.

So did I get the screw job about all the lines having to be replaced and that the parts only come in a kit?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Most shops won't replace them in piecemeal because if one of them is bad then the others are likely not too far behind.

As for pricing on the parts and labor, it depends on what parts they actually replaced if that was a fair price or not.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

There's only $15 of fuel line in the entire engine bay.

perhaps the hard lines were broken?

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

Not unless they broke them when replacing the shortblock.

I'm just saying we aren't there to inspect them and see exactly what is up with them, too many variables to say if he got hosed or not on the job really.

-Mike Paisan

It's very possible the fuel lines are only released out as a kit by Subaru for service work. You might be able to replace it yourself for $15 worth of parts, but the dealers aren't authorized to come up with their own repair solutions. They can only perform work per Subaru's proceedures, using the released service parts. It's a form of repair quality control.

Now, whether or not if what they charged you is fair - probably not. Dealer prices rarely are.

Sucks, but it's the reality sometimes of OEMs.

It's very possible the fuel lines are only released out as a kit by Subaru for service work. You might be able to replace it yourself for $15 worth of parts, but the dealers aren't authorized to come up with their own repair solutions. They can only perform work per Subaru's proceedures, using the released service parts. It's a form of repair quality control.

Now, whether or not if what they charged you is fair - probably not. Dealer prices rarely are.

Sucks, but it's the reality sometimes of OEMs.

Agreed.

I'm as quick as the next guy to fault dealers but sometimes you have to look at it from their business model and how they operate.

-mike

And then there are all the rest of us that just lockwired the hose next to the clamp where the fuel leaks past when its really cold out.

This is a common, well known issue on the forum.

When you have the intake off and tighten the clamps. you'll understand the factory screwed up, by not tightening them enough.

There are a few threads about this issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived