LegacyGT.com

how accurate is the torque app?

i picked up an obd2 bluetooth that was recommended on nasioc and was playing with it. what i came across was that the throttle sensor never reads higher than 79. it seems accurate at what other possessions should be but it only reads 79 with my foot on the floor. i was also looking at the boost only hitting around 12lbs, i was a bit confused since it should be reading MAF and not a MAP of actual boost so the stock tune with 13psi (or 14psi i was not sure) should get that reading or close right?

|

TLDR, is having torq and a bluetooth OBD2 reader seeing only 79 on throttle percent when floored a problem?

I guess its a case of don't believe everything you read.

My wagon was tuned on a true reading Mustang Dyno, it feels a faster then the numbers.

If you want more power, may be put that money towards performance parts instead of a toy.

You also have a 5eat, they can take more power then a 5mt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've been using the torque app for 2.5 years. It's been working great for me apart from having a slow refresh rate (probably due to the bluetooth dongle, not the app itself). As for accuracy, I'd say it should be accurate. For instance, when I was stock I recall seeing my peak boost around 13.5 psi consistently. Now that I am stage 1, my tuner set my tune to reach a max boost of 16.9 psi. Last night, the torque app registered a max boost of 16.6 psi, and the day before 16.8 I think. So it should be accurate.

I've been using the torque app for 2.5 years. It's been working great for me apart from having a slow refresh rate (probably due to the bluetooth dongle, not the app itself). As for accuracy, I'd say it should be accurate. For instance, when I was stock I recall seeing my peak boost around 13.5 psi consistently. Now that I am stage 1, my tuner set my tune to reach a max boost of 16.9 psi. Last night, the torque app registered a max boos of 16.6 psi, and the day before 16.8 I think. So it should be accurate.

There are cables available that connect the OBD port to the USB port of your phone, and provide higher bandwidth than the bluetooth dongle. I haven't used them - I only have the dongle, because I only used it for reading CELs on my old 2.5rs and on my miata. I have an AP v2 for my LGT, so I don't use the torque app in that car. Although, since I have both, I could do some comparison testing one day.

There are cables available that connect the OBD port to the USB port of your phone, and provide higher bandwidth than the bluetooth dongle. I haven't used them - I only have the dongle, because I only used it for reading CELs on my old 2.5rs and on my miata. I have an AP v2 for my LGT, so I don't use the torque app in that car. Although, since I have both, I could do some comparison testing one day.

You know. I may look into that cause I have been disappointed with the refresh rate so far. It's just too slow.

I've been using the torque app for 2.5 years. It's been working great for me apart from having a slow refresh rate (probably due to the bluetooth dongle, not the app itself). As for accuracy, I'd say it should be accurate. For instance, when I was stock I recall seeing my peak boost around 13.5 psi consistently. Now that I am stage 1, my tuner set my tune to reach a max boost of 16.9 psi. Last night, the torque app registered a max boost of 16.6 psi, and the day before 16.8 I think. So it should be accurate.

How are you making 16.9 on a stage 1 setup? Stage 1 is stock up and downpipe. I was told not enough flow for that boost.

There's a setting in Torq to up the communications speed to the car. Some cars don't like the higher speed though. I would guess the application is as accurate as the data feeding it. This is all standardized open source stuff, no? I am gonna check my TPS now that you've mentioned this though.

with the car running or just the ignition on but not running it tops out at 79. i think i am going to call the dealer that did my AVCS problem and see if they will check it for me with the dealer reader.

the car accelerates quite a bit different since i had the AVCS fixed so i wounder if they changed it to lower max throttle while fixing the problem.

There's a setting in Torq to up the communications speed to the car. Some cars don't like the higher speed though. I would guess the application is as accurate as the data feeding it. This is all standardized open source stuff, no? I am gonna check my TPS now that you've mentioned this though.

i had tried the high and low update speeds

I just checked my TPS on Torq and it maxes out at 79.2%. There are two other Accelerator Position options D and E, but these are similar. If you slowly press the gas pedal down the display jumps from 17% at "idle" upwards. Its definitely not a linear progression so I'm not convinced its accurate at all. Whether or not it should be reading 100% I'm not sure, but my previous car definitely did.

Let us know what you find out.

I just checked my TPS on Torq and it maxes out at 79.2%. There are two other Accelerator Position options D and E, but these are similar. If you slowly press the gas pedal down the display jumps from 17% at "idle" upwards. Its definitely not a linear progression so I'm not convinced its accurate at all. Whether or not it should be reading 100% I'm not sure, but my previous car definitely did.

Let us know what you find out.

good to know.

Maybe check with romraider?

will that work with a cheap blue OBD2 reader?

today was warmer 60f, and it is running 13.6lbs of boost all day when it pulls. i also think that i am just going to ignore the throttle since it seems like the app is not accurate and i am getting the turbo swap and tune in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived