LegacyGT.com

Do I have a Head Gasket Failure, see pics

Non stop Bubbles coming up when you first start it up in the morning will be a good sign, other than the obvious thick clouds of smoke out the exhaust.

^ Before this post I didn't see anyone mention the possible HG leak into the exhaust system.

When I was chasing my overheating issue, I changed the thermostat first, hoping for the easy fix ... wrong.

If you are experiencing higher than normal operating temps, high levels in the overflow tank, you may/probably have a bad HG leaking compression into the water jacket. After you've had the car under load (at normal operating temps), pop the hood, then check for bubbles in the overflow tank while blipping the throttle.

This is how I diagnosed my bad HG. I didn't have anti-freeze in my oil either.

GL

Circling back on this about the bubble mentioned.

Were looking for bubbles in the overflow upon starting the car? I tried this after driving and coolant blew out the overflow like mad.

Going to go see if I can find the tool JmP mentioned.

No coolant in oil from what I see and no oil in the coolant yet. Somthing is not right here and I need to get to the bottom of this.

Yeah not wise. Thanks for that...

Now since I'm trying to be really clear here.

Were talking about checking for bubbles in the overflow upon startup. Right???

I picked up a kit to check for exhaust gasses. Will see how it goes.

Should I use the radiator or the overflow for the test?

Need to drain some coolant 2 to 3", then run this hooked up for 10 min or less. Less if the result is positive before the 10 min is over.

Then theres where to hook up the vacumm line?

Fun Fun...

I was confusing the reservoir tank and coolant fill tank referenaces in this thread.

I have no bubbles after warm up in the reservoir tank. Going to watch it as it warms up to see how much air comes out after I burp the system a couple more times.

Gas test was inclonclusive. No negative result until mistakenly pulling coolant into the test solution. Had a hard time dropping enough coolant to keep the fill tank from fillng up enough and soon as I pulled a vacuum on the coolant tank I would pull coolant into the kit.

If I sealed it 95% or so no change in fluid color.

So I'm calling the test inconclusing but a positive sign I may not have head gasket issues.

I am having a similar issue with my 05 OXT 5mt. I was having an air-whooshing-in-coolant sound upon startup so I followed the bleed procedure outlined in the FSM. This made the sound go away for a few days. When the whooshing sound came back I did the bleed procedure again, the car took just a few ounces of coolant.

There were a few bubbles slowly popping up in the resevoir/overflow tank (the opaque white one... not sure which terminology pertains to that one) and the level consistently will rise a bit after a 20 min drive and then settle back down as it cools. Today I took the car for about a 60 mile (little over an hour drive through the mountains) and when i parked I popped the hood to find the overflow/resevoir tank full to the brim, having already dumped some coolant and slowly bubbling.

Operating temps normal, the temp gauge on the dash never passed halfway, I can take it for a spin tomorrow and see what the computer data reads though.

Oil is clean, coolant appears clean, I find no leaks or residue anywhere other than where the tank puked today. I am thinking that this is HG related and I am pressurizing a water jacket. I looked around the forum and searched through the FSM, are there any other tests I should do to confirm my suspicions in your experience?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

As I have gathered if your getting bubbles at operating temp into the radiator/fill tank overflow thats the sign.

I'm really watching mine close but don't think I'm to that point yet. From what I've found.

Drive it to poperatig temp. Stop and watch it for a few min. Repeat. But from what your saying this don't sound good.

Archived