LegacyGT.com

Difference Between 2.5L N/A and Turbo 5MT '03-up?

Kookookachew

Hey guys, so I've hunted around on here a bit, and googled a little and all I can find are the N/As seem to have longer ratios? I know there must be other differences as well, I just haven't found any documentation on it.

And just for clarity I'm referring to push-style 5MTs originally equipped on 2.5L engines. The only reason I'm asking is the 5MT in my '06 LGT just failed last night (my fault) and I want to know my stuff before I start looking for a replacement.

Thanks everyone, any insight would be much appreciated!

The 5MTs between the N/A and F/I are longer gears, different clutch disc dia., stronger internal components. If i were you I would have your gearbox rebuilt by good trans shops. Rebuilt it will be more stout that OEM.

If you run a N/A gearbox youll need to make sure the F/D matches as some are 4.11, .4.44 and ours is a 3.90.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, after doing some more reading the past few days, I did find some more information. I knew the clutches were much more stout on Turbo Subarus, and I found a great page listing many, if not all of the gear and front diff ratios for Subaru trannys, early '90s and up...

All LGT, FXT and Outback XT 1-5 Ratios are the same, and yes, much longer than N/A transmissions but '05 and '06 LGT (mine) use a 4.11 FD, whereas the '07-up use the 3.90 FD. FXT uses 4.44 and so does Outback XT.

I still have yet to get an estimate on getting the transmission repaired, I haven't heard of a good shop, local to me, they are all at least a few hour drive.

From the symptoms it seems as if its a bent 1/2 Fork, and potentially a messed up syncro. 2-5 and R are all perfect, but when trying to shift into 1st, the gate is blocked off as if it never existed.

What I've also read, although I can't confirm its legitimacy, is that the gear-sets used in the LGT, Outback XT, and FXT are stronger than those used in WRXs, but I honestly don't believe that.

For anyone searching in the future, heres a link to that page, what a great reference!!

http://home.gci.net/~cowdookey/818/TransmissionIDChart_Public.pdf

• Moderators

The gear sets are different between the WRX 5mts and the LGT 5mts, like you said. There's pictures out there somewhere that I've seen as well.

I recently removed the 5mt from my OBXT--it's for sale along with the rear diff and other parts if you end up wanting a replacement and want to switch to the 4.44 FD.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Ahh, so they are! I know many of them share the same 1-5 ratios, so I wasn't sure if the gear-sets were the same or not. And thanks for the heads-up, but If I wanted to switch FDs, I'd go to the newer LGT and swap down to a 3.90. I don't use my LGT for speed or power, just to commute and go on trips with. So lower revs would suit me better.

Archived