LegacyGT.com

new engine/turbo - price

misterpink

Figured this may be the best place to ask this -

Thinking of putting my 07 lgt on the market but not sure how to price. Car will have a new engine and turbo in it and a rebuilt 5EAT all work done by Metric in Long Island - best around.

What should I expect that to do to the price?

Curious as to opinions.

Nothing. Kbb/nada/etc prices reflect a car in proper working condition. Doesn't matter what work has been done to keep it that way.

Also someone selling a car immediately after such major work is a red flag for me as a buyer. Would be more comfortable if you drove it a year or two after that then sold.

New shortblock is around $1650, probably reuse your heads just freshen them up for around $600-$800. Turbo depends on what you want to put on there, anywhere from $500 to $1500 is safe bet. Assembly is probably $500 range on motor and about that to pull and install. Used longblocks generally go for around $3000-$3500 plus turbo and install.

Edit,

Agreed, Nada / KBB / Edmunds vales a complete car in whatever condition you specify. You have to make the call if it is worth fixing first or selling as is.

Thanks. To clarify, work is already being done. Was just wondering if it adds anything at all - or as nouse said - could even be a detriment. Not going to sell the car here or anything - would be silly after so many posts about how many issues I've had with the turbo.

Would love to keep it but I just can't let myself keep a car that blows two turbos in less than 60k miles with nothing more than daily driving duty. Time to bail.

From personal experience, and market observation, a brand new rebuild scares people and knocks a couple bucks off the price. 5-10k on a Rebuild? Not really a big deal. Everything that can/will go wrong has usually gone wrong by then. Just make sure you have paperwork to verify the mileage at time of rebuild, ands upportingd ovum ends for the parts used in the rebuild. I've gone to look at "rebuilt" engines that were just a full gasket replacement. On these cars, everyone's mind usually associates rebuilds to turbo problems, poor maintenance, and/or hard driving.

To summarize, there might be a slight dip in the offers you receive, but if you have a good (read: verifiable) maintenance history, it shouldn't affect you at all.

Archived