LegacyGT.com

2014 2.5 CVT Limited impressions

cerbomark

Put about 800 miles on our new 2014 Legacy 2.5 CVT.

This is my wifes car but I do drive it when on trips together.

1st/ I was very unsure about getting the CVT trans but after driving it I would not have a problem driving one myself. It is smooth, qu and is always in the power band. Also we got from 35 to 29 MPGS in combined highway driving.

Seats are great.(8 way power/heated). Upgraded radio system is nice.

Overall highway ride is smooth and quiet. Seems to be user friendly car to drive.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/cerbomark/IMG_2429.jpg

A lot of people complain that the CVT is loud when you accelerate but I've noticed that the 2014 Subaru Forester has a lot more soundproofing so I'm not so sure anymore about the Legacy and Outback. Is it really that quiet?

Congratulations, to your wife! :lol:

I have a 2012 that I have driven for ~25K miles. Make sure you rotate the tires periodically. I have front tires that are worn on the inside. It seems the 2.5i is very FWD biased no matter what subaru specs are.

The cvt is a joy. When I drive other auto cars the shift points are very annoying, no matter how smooth the car is.

---

When I drive other auto cars the shift points are very annoying, no matter how smooth the car is.

Why do so many people think that a smooth automatic is desirable? A smooth auto is a slow shifting transmission. Smooth shifts done with overlapping gearing (applying both clutch at the same time) and power reduction to the engine.

Why do so many people think that a smooth automatic is desirable? A smooth auto is a slow shifting transmission. Smooth shifts done with overlapping gearing (applying both clutch at the same time) and power reduction to the engine.

Well a CVT is just really damn smooth! If I want to feel gear changes I'l drive the manual stick. Give me my grandad's Cadillac! :lol:

---

Depends if you are looking for luxury or performance. You are right that a slow shifting auto isn't the best, but they are the smoothest.

Very nice car cerbomark and welcome. You will love the subie in the snow if you haven't had one before. Just don't get too cocky with the oem tires. Those things are crap in the snow. Purely a highway tread design for high mileage. I can't believe how many subies I've seen in accidents in snowy weather. The car is safe and instills a bit of false confidence. Just because you can accelerate, doesn't mean you can stop or corner faster with those crappy tires. I would recommend either taking it easy or getting a good set up winter tires. If you get all season, get some designed to handle snow. You'll have to shop around. Conti DWS-Dry, Wet, Snow are good.

Welcome.

I probably should have clarified better when I post posted. Obviously for a 2.5i all out performance isn't the goal. I was just more talking in general I see many post about smooth auto's.

Give me my grandad's Cadillac! :lol:

After driving my friends car, I have been on a 2nd Gen CTS-V kick lately for my next toy vehicle. I will take a 2nd gen 6MT CTS-V, please :D

I actually prefer the CVT to other automatic transmissions, it's just smoother. If I wanted to feel the shift, I'd be driving a manual transmission. I've had MT cars for the last 6 years or so, and I needed something different. I'd driven my wife's outback and found the CVT to be fine. Most "car" guys I know, mostly technicians, hate it. Not sure why. Probably the purist in them.

Congratulations, to your wife! :lol:

I have a 2012 that I have driven for ~25K miles. Make sure you rotate the tires periodically. I have front tires that are worn on the inside. It seems the 2.5i is very FWD biased no matter what subaru specs are.

You may want to have the camber or toe in adjusted to fix that. The tires should wear evenly.

My GF's 08 Ford Escape wore all the tires on the inside tread, we rotated them ever 6000 miles.

With the new tires I told the Tech about the thire wear. He said on those they remove the front struts, elongate the mount holes and then they can get a proper alignment. They do it all the time to those cars.

I seem to recall him telling me that about a friends 2005 OB 2.5i, but they did that on the bottom of the strut.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived