LegacyGT.com

Question: 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon (RBP, AT)

I have been the proud owner of the above for almost 6 years (second owner) and am thinking of trading her in for either a new 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited or 2014 Forester 2.0 XT Touring.

Should I trade her in as a part exchange or would it be more preferable to do a private sale to someone who would look after her as I have? I'm keen on the one hand to trade in at a dealer for the ease but I also would love to pass heron to someone who actually wants something a little rare.

Also, what are your thoughts on moving to an Outback or new Forester? I'm torn because I love keeping the turbo but have not had chance to take a look at the new Forester in the flesh so don't know how the interior matches up with the Outback.

We're a family of three so the space in both vehicles is needed but I still want some oomph as I love to drive

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Your one mention of still want some oomph and 2014 OB, IMO don't go together.

I have friends who traded there 05 OBXT for a 2014 OB. They are fine with it, not very HP concerned people, but they did mention they miss the turbo.

They a 2014 CVT outback.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Someone at work just got a white '14 FXT.

I didn't drive it or anything, but I scoped it out pretty hard in the parking lot.

I don't think I could make that switch, the interior doesn't do anything for me and

I absolutely despise CVT auto transissions. Frickin' snowmobile transmission crap.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

From a dollars perspective you get more private sale nearly everytime. The only time it gets really close is when they play the 'we'll give you more on the tradein but don't move on the price of the car much' game.

I'd have your money lined up before and go in to deal.

I've not driven the new line up to tell you. CVT's are the most fun.

Trading at the dealer offers more than convenience; from a State sales tax perspective it's one transaction, so your tax is based on the difference between your trade in and new car - not the new car full purchase price - which can save you hundreds.

Archived